Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm building up my 351w and need to buy new brackets for my altenator and power steering pump (at least i'm pretty sure I do, because my 302 ones wont fit). My 351 is a 1984 block (dont know if this matters or not). But would it be beneficial or worth while for me to convert this to a serpintene belt setup at this point? (Sorry I know I have some mis spellings...)

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this decision to make when I bought a 95 302HO crate motor.

A few things you need to find out:
Will you need a reverse water pump? (and fan)
Will you have to use an electric fuel pump?
Will you need a different radiator?
I may have forgotten something...been awhile.

I found the brackets off a 90's F150 for $250 at a junk yard after looking for weeks.
Best thing I ever did was go surp.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to do the same things w/ a 351.
Another Ford nut went tne V-belt route and had all kinds of problems...I haven't touched mine in 2 yrs.

Good Luck!

85 F150, orig. 300/6, now w/ 95 302HO

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
For me the serpentine makes the engine compartment, it has that look, and you could run underdrive pully`s, and the late model P/S pump.

I dont know if this would be beneficial, but you could look up the 95 Mustang Cobra "R", it had the 351 with the serpintine setup, maybe you can find out what they used for brackets and pully`s.

Maybe some of the late model trucks with the 351 run a serpentine setup you could borrow from.

Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Opps,
I did have to replace the p/s pulley, as well as the alt. and a/c pulleys.
Single belt system works and looks great.
I have seen lincolns w/ 2 surp. belts, but they were 302's.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I just did the swap 2 weeks ago. My P/S bracket fit fine, but the dip stick tube points straight up now, but works fine. I drilled new holes in my A/C bracket and that worked. My alternator bracket almost worked, I thing the big bracket has 3 bolts, 2 to the H2O pump, and one to the head. The ones for the water pump fit, and the lower bracket just has to be ground on a little. The bolt that goes into the head won't line up, but with all of the others I can't budge the alt. I guess I will eventually find a 351 bracket, but it works now, and doesn't throw belts, and it didn't cost me any money.
Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts