Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Coolant Hose in Carb Base Delete

18K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  galaxiex 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to clean up the engine bay and delete the coolant hoses that run through the passenger side of the carb base plate. Just want to know if anyone has done this or is the good idea fairy having a bad idea day. It comes from the water pump to the rear of the base plate, comes out of the front of the base plate then into the manifold at the front. Wanted to just go with a regular base plate but concerned about cooling being an issue with this and how to route the hoses after the delete. Oh yeah it is a 67 Galaxie with a 390 and factory 2 barrel. Pics in my garage. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
It comes from the water pump to the rear of the base plate, comes out of the front of the base plate then into the manifold at the front.
Hey Mr. S,
You have the coolant flow backwards.

The coolant comes OUT of the Intake Manifold and IN the front of the Aluminum Spacer.

Then OUT of the rear of the Aluminum Spacer, and it SHOULD go IN the bottom Tube of the Heater Core.

Then OUT of the top Tube of the Heater Core back TO the Water Pump.

If you are not routing coolant TO and FROM a Heater Core, then the coolant would come OUT of the rear of the Aluminum Spacer and go TO the Water Pump (which is what you apparently, from your description, have).

If you are wanting to eliminate the Aluminum Spacer, you could just route the coolant FROM where it comes OUT of the Intake Manifold TO where it goes back IN the Water Pump.

JC

#4 ·
I still have my heater so i just ran a long hose to the intake and bypassed the spacer which i replaced with a phenolic. Think thats how it runs. Now that JC put the proper routing i'll have look to see how my hoses are to the core.

#5 · (Edited)
Not quoting the coolant flow just where the routing of the hoses from front to back. Anyway it also has a H connecter in line from the back of the plate to the water pump that has the heater hoses connected to the other side of the H connecter like a crossflow. Galax-z heater is working just fine and no overheating issues. Shot that is what i was thinking but that H connector is throwing me a curve ball. It just makes no sense. Heres the pics

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
The way it is hooked up that is the only way the coolant gets to and from the heater core. The heater hose as it goes to the fender has a valve inline. I guess that is to prevent backflow. That is the only thing that makes sense. Here is a better pick of the H connector. The top 2 hoses go to the heater core and the bottom 2 to the water pump and carb base plate. The pic of the valve is on the line that I believe go to the heater core. The other pic is where the heater hoses plug up on the firewall. I am kind of concerned with keeping it factory as it is all there like it came. Just have never seen one connected in this fashion. Looks like it would impede flow to the heater core. I am pulling the motor and tranny next weekend to reseal them and figured if I was gonna redo it then that would be a great time. Just wanted to know if anybody had done it with success. Shotrod do you have any pics of yours by chance. I never read.....I just like the pictures. Better than words any day.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Squid, that some wild hose you got there. The water valve lets the water flow to the heater. It is opened via the vacuum hose to it. But with that H-crossover, I can't figure out which way the water is going!

The hot water through the spacer is to prevent Carburetor Ice which can form just below the throttle plates. Living in El Paso you do not likely need to worry about icing. I didn't, my new route runs from the intake to the water valve, from the water valve to the heater, from the heater (top) back to the water pump.

Between the intake and the valve you can install a plastic backflush valve, which is handy but needs to be kept tightly clamped and screwed down.

#9 ·
Definately some wild hose. It is good I can delete most of it across the top of the engine. Will make the bay alot cleaner. Would you happen to have a part number on the backflush valve? My guess is that is what the valve is under the fender in the second pic. I will install a spacer under the carb once I yank the engine to regasket it. Funny thing about the hoses is the car is a El Paso original. Wouldn't think they would install that here even back in 67.

#10 · (Edited)
The backflusher is just a "T" you can get at Autozone for 99 cents.

The valve under the fender is vacuum controlled. When you slide the lever on the dash to "HOT" a cable attached to a rod (Temp valve control arm, in the pic) opens vacuum (vacuum control switch, pic) and the vacuum opens the water valve and lets water through to the heater.

Attachments

#11 ·
Puttster you just solved another question I had. The temp control knob is frozen so now I know where to start looking. Going to pull the control panel also to see what makes it tick under the dash. Going to start under the hood first. Hopefully solve the issue under the hood. My back wont take too many under dash dives.

#12 ·
Here is a vacuum route map that might help. I can draw it for you squid, but I can't get under there for you:)

#13 ·
That 'H' is just when the water flow for the heater is shut off for the water to be able to circulate by the bypass from the w/p. The heater flow is cut but the water being pumped to t is still being pumped, so they just H-ed them for bypass circulation....The Delete you are wanting to do is common and does clean it up somewhat, and avoids the 'extra' leak prone joints.... ;)

#14 ·
As Puttster says, you can run the hose directly from the fitting on top of the intake manifold to the valve on your fender, and the other hose will run directly from the heater core to the water pump. That will bypass the whole carb heating system, which you can then remove.

That valve on the fender is what stops the coolant flow to the core as Mroldfart2U mentioned so the heater core doesn't warm up unless you use your functioning heater control ;) to turn the heat on.

#15 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys I really appreciate it. Being a member of many forums I can honestly say this is the best one so far. Lots of help and insight. Think I might keep this one (car and forum). Probably going to pull the motor and tranny next weekend for a re-gasket and paint. Will go through and get alot of the smaller issues with the motor out so I can stand in the engine bay instead of leaning over the car. Will start a thread and cover any issues if in fact I actually get it started. And again thanks for the insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.