Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have nice green coolant in the oil pan...

'68 289 in storage for 18 years and now being brought back to life.

The coolant tests to a freeze point of -50, so I don't think anything froze and the vehicle was in a garage for over 17 years. I don't think the engine ever ran with the coolant in the oil, since there is no indication of "chocolate milkshake". (The car ran fine when it was parked 18 years ago).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Colin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace your intake gaskets and change your oil. That should do it.

Then in another 2 weeks you can remove the engine and replace the front and rear seals because they'll be leaking....

Hey Colin, welcome to FMForums.
Thanks for the welcome and reply...

I've pulled the water pump and timing cover. No leaks evident at the timing cover, but the back of the pump was very rusty. Sandblasted the timing cover, new seal etc and new water pump. Interestingly, the old seal was still very soft and probably reuseable.

I did wonder about the intake manifold gaskets, but I didn't think that there would be much coolant above the gasket level to account for what came out of the oil pan... I probably got 1.5 to 2 litres of coolant out of the pan. I guess I'll be the first to know...

Cheers, Colin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and reply...

I've pulled the water pump and timing cover. No leaks evident at the timing cover, but the back of the pump was very rusty. Sandblasted the timing cover, new seal etc and new water pump. Interestingly, the old seal was still very soft and probably reuseable.

I did wonder about the intake manifold gaskets, but I didn't think that there would be much coolant above the gasket level to account for what came out of the oil pan... I probably got 1.5 to 2 litres of coolant out of the pan. I guess I'll be the first to know...

Cheers, Colin
...More to ponder...

I separated the coolant from the oil drained from the pan, and there's considerably less coolant than I had thought. Perhaps around half a litre. Unless I'm wrong, the only way coolant could get to the pan from the intake manifold in a stored motor, would be to seep past the gasket and into the head, then past the intake valve and into the combustion chamber, then past the piston rings and into the sump... I guess anythings possible over an 18 year period, but it seems a bit unlikely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts