Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Canadian 390 so it has a oil breather tube and road draft tube. I changed the oil yesterday and noticed bright green coolant in the oil breather tube. I have included a photo of it. Not sure how it's getting up there as it seems to be above where the tube goes into the manifold. I am now speculating this is what was causing white smoke to come from the breather as well as the road draft tube---especially after warm or at a stop. How does one go about determining where the leak is (gasket, head, etc)?

Back story is I bought this car a few months ago. Didn't smoke at all. Took it in for an oil change and to get some leaks fixed. Mechanic put in synthetic oil and changed valve cover gaskets. On the way home, I noticed white smoke from road draft tube that wasn't there before as well as a nasty oil leak. Went back in and he determined the intake was now leaking. Wasn't leaking to that extent before. So that got taken care of. The leak that was there isn't there now but smoke still is after warms up. I was hoping it was simply the synthetic oil so I changed it to 10w30 Lucas Hot Rod Oil. But when changing it I noticed he coolant in oil neck at front of intake.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this is appreciated. I am sure it will involve going back to a mechanic, maybe not same one.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 convertable
972 Posts
if it is coolant, if you pull the drain plug(oil) just a little coolant would come out before oil as oil will float above the coolant. let the car sit a day or three before doing it. only other way that it got in there is a pinhole leak in the heater hose aimed just the right way. get it warm then move a paper towle around the area to see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I drained the oil which had been in there for 2 months and maybe had 100 miles on it if that (which was slightly warm from running car for less than 5 minutes, it was just oil that looked kinda like it had a green hue. See photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I wasn't clear on how you thought the coolant got in the filler neck? I see you said the only other way about heater hose. What was your feeling on it?

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
you could have slight seepage at water crossover by intake manifold..
when i replace intake gasket , usually put a little rtv sealer around hole at crossover...
its usually corroded and pitted in that area...
you could try tightening intake bolts some more... see if that helps stopping seepage...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts