Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a friends house today, he is building a 383 stroker for his 76 Chevy truck, and I looked under his hood to check out his progress. He was replacing the timing chain with a timing gear set. He said that when he was taking off the timing cover, he spilt coolant from the upper radiator hose into the oil pan. I was just wondering if this was gonna to something terrible to his engine.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I heard stories from Dennis (a local motor builder that "built" my motor. He was telling me that when he does a motor, he does not even put coolant in it untill the first oil change...Just incase the head gasket leaks, or blows out. Seems pretty logical to me?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
57 Posts
It doesnt really matter as long as you change the oil . Engine are not as fragile to coolant in oil as you mite think. If he change the oil it will be fine but think about it , water boils at 200 degrees and the slight amount that may be learkin around after will dissipate , most oil temps get up to 300 degrees. I have just seen egines with blown intake gaskets come in and have probably 2 plus quarts of coolant in oil and the dumb a$$ drove like that for thirty miles I even tore down the bottom end to find that it didnt even damage the main or rod bearings in the slightest , so it is not as bad as you would think. So long as you change the oil and in the previous case flush out the interals.

lowside

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I agree with lowside

I once made a complete raceday (12+ passes) with probably a gallon of water in the oil. After the final round, we pulled the pan, and even after those 12 9000 rpm passes, the bearings looked like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts