Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why but my car will blow antifreeze shortly after I shut it off after a long drive. It blows out the overflow. The car does not overheat, so I do not know why it keeps doing it

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Not sure why but my car will blow antifreeze shortly after I shut it off after a long drive. It blows out the overflow. The car does not overheat, so I do not know why it keeps doing it
Are you possibly over filling it?

Bad radiator cap?

I'd say fill it, then run it, let it push out and then cool down. If you can see the coolant still, go for another run, if it doesn't run hot or push any more out, your car is telling you where the level is supposed to be

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Unless your car uses a recovery system (reservoir tank), then that is normal. Older systems are designed to run with 1 to 2 inches of air at the top of the radiator when cold, that is then full when running from heat expansion. If there is excess in the radiator, it will puke out on shutdown, suck in air, and stay there. After a couple puke sessions, it should remain at the same level from then on (unless it gets hotter sometime). Checking coolant in your car becomes simply removing the cap (when cold) and checking coolant level by eye or finger dip. HTH

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts