Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What coolant should I be using in this combo??
Motor is a 460.
It has an alloy intake.
Radiator is a copper core.
Thermo is a 160.

I have been using plain water as I was having overheating problems and I was dumping coolant all the time.
The problem is fixed (I hope) and now I should get some coolant.

I have heard that some coolants hold a slight electical charge and destroy radiators pretty quick.

Any suggestions on what blend of glycol/inhibitor etc I should go with?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Tony,the most popular coolant is a glycol/inhib mix at the rate of 50%.
The electrical charge is called stray current but it is not caused by the coolant but from electrical sources with bad earths going to ground though the coolant.This prob is more prevalent with late model cars with lots of electrics.It can cause electrolysis and erode the radiator.
What tricks did you use to help your overheating probs?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a normal V8 XD radiator in it.
Got it checked and cleaned (guy reckons there was nothing really in it)
Blocked off inlet to water pump bypass. (There is a hose from under the thermostat which goes to the water pump. As I have straight gas I dont need it. There is always a bypass via the convertors) It forces all water through the radiator rather than allowing extra to bypass and go via pump only.
Used reinforced tape to seal the shroud to the radiator tanks.
Also the pump has the largest possible pulley on it that will fit.

Plus the weather has cooled a lot. We didnt get a heap of 40* days thankfully.

I still need a "proper fix" however as the temp still climbs in traffic a bit. My main concern is that it seems to take too long to come down compared to what it used to with the small
motor (351C).
I have another factory fan. It has less blades but they are larger and more flexible. The fan is heaps quieter than the one I have now which is 6 or 7 blades (small and stiff).

I have a 14-16" push fan as well but dont use it much. It really makes no difference IMO to the performance of the cooling system.
The temps are great in the motor while I am moving. Its just when I get caught at lights for 3 changes it gets hot.

The motor actually makes more power at 190-200F than 160F which flies in the face of LPG theory.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony.k on 3/5/02 5:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
516 Posts
The 460 puts out more heat than a 351 and might need a larger radiator, like a 4 row core radiator.
Also, you said you put a bigger pulley on the water pump, that would slow down the pump and it would move less water. A larger crank pulley or smaller water pump pulley would speed up the water pump.
Just a couple of thoughts. Ed

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been led to believe that the slower the pump the better. Stops aeration of coolant and maximises the time in the radiator.
S'pose there are arguements for both though.
Not sure about 4 core though. All the hot stuff I hear about are going to 2 row alloys etc. New vehicles use 2 row alloys too and run around 40* hotter than mine for emissions reasons.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Tony,the 2 row alloy rads are the go.In the XE i fitted the 460 crate motor with a 3 core brass/copp rad it would run 215*fwhile driving and would go higher if stopped idling for more than a few minutes.
The alloy rad with 2x25mm tubes and a stock 7 blade fairlane type flex fan bought the temp down to 170-180.
Just a note on the fan noise.One 429falcon i worked on had a very noisy factory flex fan.That same fan on a 351 was quiet.
Some of the fan noise from a 460 is caused by the fan running very close to the bottom pulley.The noise is the air hitting the bottom pulley.H-T-H

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you source the alloy from?
Was it a later model car unit or a special like a "desert cooler" or something.
The rads they use in VT/VX commodores are not very expensive so perhaps a retro fit would work from a later falcon or holden.
I think the 25 mm tube is a key point though. a normal radiator has around 4mm high tubes which are only 10mm wide. Its no wonder they block up.

Do you think I should try turn the fan faster??

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
The radiator i used was an exact copy of the XA GT type crossflow which is about 26"across the core and 31" overall.The tanks are pressed out exactly the shape of the stock ones.It is a nice piece.I got it from PWR radiators on the gold goast in QLD.It is a little higher in the tanks than an XD rad and required a little fabrication of the top mounts..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts