Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting a 351W (about 400 hp) in a '67 Fairlane that was originally a 289 car. Will the stock size 289 radiator provide sufficient cooling? '67 Fairlanes with the FE engine had a larger radiator. Does anyone know what's involved in making that swap?

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you can find a 2 row aluminum radiator that uses at least 1" cooling tubes the stock style radiator will be just fine. or a 3 row brass should do the trick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just go with a bigger radiator. The big block replacement radiator likely will have the lower hose on the wrong side for you. Ok actually it depends on the year waterpump and pulley setup. Big block radiator (and latr model small blocks-mostly) have driver side lower connections that are larger. There are tons of radiators bit at min a 3 row is what you will need. A local shop may be able to use your existing tanks and braze them onto a new core. Just check where your inlets and outlets will be and sizing.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
The 289 radiator (if everything is good condition and working well) would cool just fine, up to the stock 289 power. Radiators are heat exchanges with specific heat-shedding capacity — cooling capacity. If all you will ever ask of your engine is power under stock 289 levels, then no problem. I ran a 427W stroker behind a stock '69 302 rad temporarily without issues, if I didn't do any extended displays of performance.

While you can often increase the capacity of a system by improving the heat transfers in several ways; assuming you may want to use more of the power you paid-for (like I did), then one of many choices of radiators, fans, shrouds, etc, with increased capacity would generally be required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts