Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 5.0. T5 combination into my 64 Comet, everthing went as planned except the cooling fan. There is only 3" exactly between the water pump pulley and the radiator. Thats after trimmed down the radiator core supports (before I trimmed it down there were only 2" of clearance). I even use the fox body mustang radiator which is longer but narrower than the stock radiator. Do anyone know of a electric cooling that would fit into the 3" clearance? but turns enough CFMs to keep the engine running cool? suggestions please.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, I am still working on getting those mouldings together. I put my fan on the outside on my car , not sure if that would work for you since you have A/C. Jim in Pa

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, its not much space on the front side at all. I might be able to put two 8" cooling fans on the front side of the condenser one on each side of the hood latch brace, but I don't think that it would be enough to cool the engine. I won the fender trim on ebay, so all I need now is the trim for the two doors and the quarters.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will look for those pieces . I have 1 about 16 inch fan in center of front with latch support notched out around it . I may be able to take some pictures and post them. My car never gets over 195 even in traffic. Jim

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now thats what I want mine to do, I'm trying to have the Comet ready for the Power Tour in June, If not I guess I can take the Galaxie or the Ranchero (already been on the tour in both of them), would very much like to take a fuel injected car this time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had mine on the Power Tour this year and in 1999 had a great time, not sure if I will make next year but if I do it will be in the 64 Comet wagon I am working on. Jim.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my Galaxie in 2003 and got about 10 mpg

I took my Ranchero in 2004 up to Green Bay and got 5-6mpg

The Power Tours are pretty fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice cars , I would post a picture but they are on my other computer. My car was in the Dec. issue of Hot Rod Magazine from the tour which made the tour that much more fun. Jim.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kool!! Hot Rod Magazine, can't get much better than that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That makes all the hard work worth it. I will get a chance this weekend to dig out those pieces . If I do not have them , I may be getting a 64 Convert next week and the guy says he has two sets of trim for the car so I will have them then. Jim.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
64 Convert, is it a V8 or IL6?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a v8 289 three spd manual. Project car needs put back together but I have 5 64's now and a ton of parts so I should be able to put it back together. I have never had a 64 convert before but about 12 other 64's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How far along is your Comet ?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All I have to do mechanically is cooling fan, and exhaust then 21 circuit wiring harness after paint. Right now its at my buddy body shop in rolling chassic form, he worked the doors fenders, hood, trunk, and drivers side quarter off the car, he is waiting on me to finish everything so that he weld the quarter back on and paint the rest of the car. We paint the engine bay and undercarriage before I installed the engine and trans. he's a picture of its current state, its actually not as bad as it look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, looks like alot of work . I hope the convert is further along than your project. I have yet to see pictures of it yet. I remember when my Comet looked like that . It was 1989, my senior year in high school. I used to work on that car day and night. I wish I had the time to do that now. Jim

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Jim, the doors, hood, trunk, and fenders are painted, I already had the seats, door panels, package try, and dash pad recovered. I got a new headliner and carpet, it'll be a snap after the quarter goes back on.., at least I'm hoping. Wynn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good luck , hope to see pictures on here when it is done. There is not very many 64 ' s around . At least at the shows I go to.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That will work, Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts