Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for Mike545, Greg Cook or anyone who has experience keeping a big block stroker cool.
I just installed a 545ci 460 in my 67 mustang. When breaking in the cam, the temp shot up to 240* (YIKES!) after about 8 minutes. I shut it down at that point. I have a BBF 4 row radiator and a 14" electric fan (pusher). I expected it to be warm so I stood an additional 20" box fan in front of the radiator. Oh, by the way it was about 103 degrees out at the time! How do you guys keep these big motors cool.
This car will see very little street use, although I'd like to drive it to the hamburger stand occasionally.
other details: 545 scat stroker
C9VE heads, modestly ported
800cfm holly
comp cams 294B-s
total performance 1 7/8 headr
12* initial advance, 32 total
9QT milodon, HV pump
edlbk alum water pump

Thanks in advance for some advice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: a1320tom on 7/6/02 2:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm not one of the guys you want to hear from, but while we wait for their responses...
Congratulations on getting it all together and running. yeee haw.
I would surmise that you may be a bit short on radiator capacity and way short on airflow through the radiator. My recollection is that most of these guys are running BMF aluminum (better heat dispersion) radiators and are pulling more air through the radiator than a single 14" pusher will move.
You may not need all of that but job 1 might be a big ass fixed fan and shroud to see if you can finish the break in.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a 466 in a 68 stang.I had a custom built 4 core rad made.It spans the the core support and is recessed into it. I have a stock waterpump with a 160 stat.I also run a puller fan which is more efficient than a pusher.It is a Gates fan and pulls 19 amps so I had to upgrade my alternator. I also run straight distilled water and two bottles Redline of water wetter.It stays at 185-190 all day long in 95 degree heat.
One more thing I would like to suggest is that your carb and headers may be a little on the small side.I have a worked over 850 DP and could probably gain a little from a Dominator.I also run total performance 2" headers.It was dynoed with 2 1/4" headers and made 565ftlb of torque and 560 hp so I probably gained some low end from the 2" headers.Just some thoughts.
Hope It helps.I would like to go to an aluminum water pump also but I think I'll wait until this on goes.
BOB

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear from you Rcode! I switched to a 16" pusher with 50% more cfm than the 14. We'll see how that goes.

Bob, thanks for the info.
I have a 4 row radiator, no room to install a puller! If this doesn't run cooler, I'll have to go with the aluminum radiator, which sounds like a smart move in any case.
Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: a1320tom on 7/6/02 2:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How much room do you have? MR Gasket makes a 16 puller/pusher that is 3.25" deep. I have one on the front and back of a Griffin Alum. radiator. This was the shallowest(most shallow)fan that I could find.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have less than 2 inches between the stock 4 row radiator and the water pump! Trying to avoid cutting on the radiator support.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dear Tom:
Have you gotten it broken in yet? I have a crazy sounding solution that should get you over that hump.
Get about 200' of garden hose and cut off the ends, fill with distilled water and hose clamp the raw ends onto your water pump's heater hose connections. Throw the majority of the hose in your swimming pool (heat exchanger) and see if you can finish the break in. The added coolant capacity and heat exchanger function in addition to your radiator and fan(s)should do it.

Best Regards,
Mr. Jury Rig, Jerry Built, Rube Goldberg...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear "Rcode",
You knucklehead!
I don't have a swimming pool!
I got a bigger pusher with 50% more cfm but I'm not optimistic...
But if you're not doing anything tonight come on by...I need you to hold the hose in my NEIGHBOR's swimming pool...

BTW, will a shroud on front help a pusher fan?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: a1320tom on 7/12/02 9:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg,
That's what I figured.
We'll probably start this thing again tomorrow to finish the break in. If I think I can keep it half ass cool, we'll try making a pass or to at famoso saturday.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey, it will only be 110 today, so if you try and finish the break in, I think peak ambient temp is around 4pm.
The hose trick will add cooling capacity without the pool. (Are you sure about the pool? You been out in the back yard lately?)
Tonight? As in Friday night?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts