Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 70 Mach 1 351C, my cooling system is all new except for the radiator, which I had rebuilt and cored out. I put on a puller and pusher electric fan and the car gets as hot as 230 degrees. So I decided I would put on the stock fan again. Not much better results, it would get up to about 215. I don't think this is anything to worry about too much, but I am thinking of getting a new aluminum radiator in attempt to fix the problem. Who uses aluminum radiators here and how do you like them? Have they given you better cooling?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Have you tryied using a restricter in the thermastat housing instead of a thermastat?
I found cutting the thermastat spring mechanisim out and using the outer ring to work perfect on my 460.I have a 3 core rad with a flex fan and an electric pusher.Turn the pusher on at 170 and she runs at 180 all day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't tried using a restrictor. Right now I have a 195 robert shaw thermostat, and I have tried a stant 180 and also a robert shaw 160 and all give the same effect so far. I figured that with the lower temp thermostats the coolant was running through too fast to get cool, and perhaps this is happening with the 195 also... I will give a restrictor a try before I go for a new radiator though. Any other suggestions on what to try?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Aluminum radiator is the answer as far as I am concerned!!

Took the Cobra with 408W out today and sat in traffic for 15 minuites with temp at about 95 degrees.....The highest it got was about 195 degrees. I have a 180 degree thermostat and have never seen 220 degrees with the Griffin radiator and puller electric fan.

Cobrajack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.