Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need to change a valve cover gasket on the 65 390. Should I use cork or rubber? Im just getting them at auto z- so is there a brand I should use more than the other? How tight do you put the valve covers on?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have always used cork. No real reason. It just seems to be what I always end up with. What I do is use gasket tack to "glue" one side of the gasket to the valve cover. Has worked great for me and I remove the valve covers more than the average bear since I have to check my lash on the solid cam every so often.

Do not crank the valve cover bolts down real tight! It will deform the gasket and cause it to slip an leak. Not too tight. Most likely a little looser than you think. Also check them after a few days as the gasket will compress. If they're not leaking then don't mess with them. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, so did I. I used rubber ones and thought "should have a great seal" and I now KNOW I tightened them to much. All that work on a 79 mercury with all them tubes and stuff and my valve cover still leaks. I think I even ended up warping the cover from torqing them too much. So sad I am about that. I wondered if rubber was really good for how hot a FE engine could get.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I torque valve cover bolts and tranny pan bolts to 8lbs.

Oh, Cork all the way!

1973 Gran Torino Sport (sold)

2004 Cobra
2004 Marauder

A Jack of many trades, But not a master of a single one!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 6/17/06 11:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I prefer cork. Put them on dry. When the oil hits the cork they will swell and seal right up. Cork gaskets are designed to be installed DRY only....no sealant, glue, etc and it helps to have both surfaces dry and clean.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Cork if they're going to stay one all the time, rubber if you plan on taking them off allot.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-06-16 20:48, dacofa wrote:
Cork if they're going to stay one all the time, rubber if you plan on taking them off allot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rubber with metal in them.. they are the cats meow..
just turn the bolts down snug.. reuse for ever.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forthman, what kind of gaskets are you reffering to? Brand and type?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good feedback. What are the reasons for either preference???

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The cork and gasket tack has worked very well for me for several years now on the same set. It's darn simple to take off the valve covers and reinstall them. I could be lucky?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldnt you know it Scott, those arent made for FE engines. To bad, they sounded great.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Ive had nothing but good luck with cork. Besides this damn C4 trans pan!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tack cork gaskets to the valve cover, and snug up the bolts with a nut driver. That way you won't over tighten. After running a day or two check for leaks and retighten if necessary.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I prefer the cork. I too glue them to the valve cover. Makes for easier off and on if necessary.

Now the new gaskets from FORD work even better. They are metal with rubber. Like a reusable FORD transmission pan gasket. A little pricey, but they work great, over and over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cork and rub grease on both sides, the grease act's as a glue... keeps them in place and swells the cork.

Grab your index firger before the second joint, twist till' it hurts... that's about 8lbs.... Apply that to a 1/4 in. rachet with the ext. between the your index and middle finger..... Wha' la'... no more leaks....

All most forgot... pean the bolt holes on the valve covers (or transmission pan) flat every time you put them back on... unless they're Aluminum

·
Registered
128 Posts
Too bad you FE guys can't get those Fel Pro Perma Seals, those things kick ass. Pretty much the same thing as the OE's use on the new cars too. AT least the same thing Ford uses on Mod motors anyway.

Write to fel pro and tell them they need to srat making them for the FE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts