Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repainting my inner fenders, core support and firewall on my '64 Galaxie and would like to get the correct shade of black paint. Can anyone tell me a particular brand and paint number? I will be using a paint gun. Also, would the frame use the same paint? Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you want a satin look, go SEM trim black, or an Eastwood product. Alot of pro's can dull a black with mattening agent to do the same, looks great. My dash was done, and my cluster was done in SEM trim black, they look the same

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Black is pretty cheap at our local auto paint stores. They want another $2 to tint the same as to providing a different set other than glossy. Back when I just hauled in a piece of front suspension and had them match the tint. Took all of an extra ten minutes. I had the remains (about one pint) of an old can of official Ford black engine compartment paint. The color mixed up matched that just as well, for they looked up the part number and interchanged it, and figured the mixing ratio within 1% they said.

No big deal here, except it cost me about 60% of any mail order system, and I was going within one hour after picking it up.

As to your other question, in checking with some folks who worked the assembly line, what you would be expecting to see is essentially, just look down in engine compartment, and everything ought to look black, except for those parts which carry body colors (like fender edges). They also sprayed black from same can onto front suspension, before any undercoating was applied.

Wm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses. I am blasting and painting today and went by my local auto paint shop. I wanted to use a good Epoxy primer and they said a good two coats of this PPG primer and call it good. Said the only thing missing was UV protection and for this application, should not see any sun. Said it would dry a satin black finish. PPG DP90LF is the number. Just an FYI. Thanks again for your responses.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Are you sand blasting first?

You know that a sand blasted surface will result in a slightly duller appearnce than something like a chemical stripped one. Shiney metal equals shiney surface. Much as a rusty surface will result in a pock-marked surface. The use of two applications of primer may smooth it out well enough, but feel and examine first.

Wm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip coosbay. I used a #5 or sugar sand. It takes a little longer but doesn't pit the metal too much. I forgot how much I hate sandblasting with hobby equipment. I'm running two compressors in tandem, but is still painfully slow. Managed to only get the core support blasted today, but hopefully if the weather holds out, I can do the two inner fenders tommorow. I think with two good coats of that Epoxy primer, it should turn out pretty smooth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts