Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of restoring some 1964 Galaxie hood components to factory original specifications. Does anyone know the correct color/finish for the following:

1. Hood pin (includes a spring and two end-caps: screws into hood)
2. Hood latch hook (held onto hood with two bolts)
3. Hood striker plate, with pull lever (large bracket, mounted to radiator cross-member)
4. Hood hinge (bracket vs. springs)

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Wish I could help. I have been waiting for someone to give you an answer.
I just installed mine on my 63 fastback unfinished until I see some information. I put the hood back on, so I installed that hardware.

Hope someone has some info.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Greg Donahue today (for what it's worth), and he gave me some of this info and I inferred the rest.

1. Hood dowel assembly is probably all natural (springs, dowel, and end caps)
2. Hood safety latch hook should be natural
3. Hood striker plate, with pull lever is semi-gloss black. The innerds should be natural.
4. Hood hinge is semi-gloss black with natural springs

If anyone can confirm or deny with credible evidence, please feel free to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Since no one else knows, and therefore it probably wouldn't make a difference, I would either zinc plate them or cad plate them. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since no one else knows, and therefore it probably wouldn't make a difference, I would either zinc plate them or cad plate them. :)
Finding the correct answer is half the fun of an OEM restoration! These days a true one-off is a car restored to 100% original specifications (as proof by the fact that people can't answer the question I've posed).

Greg Donahue (again, for what it is worth) mentioned silver cad plating would also work in most cases, since the applications were different between early/late model years, and between different assembly plants.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Yeah, the strikers and such are open to debate, but I'd say natural is most common. The hood hinges I've seen on original cars varies, but are usually black manganese phosphate, as are the bolts. The springs appear to be natural cadmium with typical random gold and color patterns. A few silver, and still others black. I couldn't say what yours should be, though the references used by the Concours judges should be final word.

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 64 was family original and all the hinges and latch are semi-gloss black. But as I have found with other things sometimes it has a lot to do with were the car was made. Mine is a Atlanta car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know if 1965 is identical for these items, but the trunk and door latch on my 65 are light gold cadmium, striker are silver cadmium,they never been stripped. About Hood area ,the previous owner painted them so I can't confirm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts