Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Mustang with a 351C, pulled the motor and trans to replace the flexplate (among other things) It has a 69 C4 mated to a 72 351C using a 157 tooth externally balanced flexplate. It this correct? The car was run for quite a while before I bought it, so I'm assuming it's OK but I just want to be sure. Thanks

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I wonder how much flak I will catch for this....but there are 2 differant flex plates for the 351 C. One is for the 2v, and one is for the 4v. I dont know what the differance the heads/ carb would make, but I guess they do. When we were trying to bold my trans to the motor, the studs from the torque converter would NOT line up with those holes in the flex plate. Looked in the books, and sure as ****, there were 2 differant flex plates, and I had to go get the other flex plate to fit that converter...DOH!!
Hope that helped...if not, I hope you learned something

Jeff Given

·
Registered
314 Posts
All 351C's are 28 oz/in imbalance. There are two size flexplates. Either one will work, provided you have the correct size bellhousing and converter.

The small one is 157 teeth. It uses a converter with a 10.5" bolt circle. Found on the small bell C-4 trans.

The larger one is 164 tooth. The converter uses an 11 7/16" bolt circle. The 164's are in large bell C-4's, FMX's and small block C-6's. Note that the C-6 flexplate is the same diameter, but has a slightly different offset. It will work, but sometimes you need to to shim the converter bolts with one washer under each stud to push the converter closer to the trans.

Two other gotchas to beware of: The 164 tooth was also used with the AOD trans. Be careful here. If the AOD was behind a 351W the balance is correct and it will work. If it was behind a 5.0L then the balance is 50 oz/in and while it will physically fit, it will pound the bearings to death in short order.

The 164 was also used with the 300 ci inline 6 cyl in trucks. It looks the same, but has no balance weight. It is 0 (neutral) balanced.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 2/1/02 8:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[No message]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have the 10.5 bolt pattern converter so the I should be OK with the 157 tooth plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts