Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I’m having trouble figuring out which is the correct idler arm type for my XL. The one that was in the car has the integral swivel with no grease zerk. My 65 w/289 and my non-XL 352 parts car both have the type with a pressed in swivel and bushing. My MPC states a “heavy duty” idler (which I’m guessing is what my car had). I just didn’t know which was correct, as the catalog does not specify what heavy duty actually belongs with. Anybody know that answer?
I have a photo of the arm I took out and a NOS parts replacement. Just wanting to know which one is correct for my car. Thanks!

Wood Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Composite material

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
The one you took out is probably a more modern replacement type designed to eliminate the OE bushing type. MOOG would likely call it the "Problem Solver".

Reactions: Jazzmeister

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
My 67 Z manual steering looks like your picture of the bottom part with tag. They are rebuildable with a bushing kit. There used to be 2 kits, one for power and one for manual. I think the power one had serrations on the inner bushing ends to help car return to center after cornering. Think they only are all for power now but still works fine on manual. Rock Auto has the Moog bushing kit for a little over $8 plus shipping. If you don't have a press take it to machine shop. I don't like to throw away original Ford iron.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Seems like my NOS unit is the winner. Glad I asked. The bushing in it was dry rotted from age, so I had already pressed it out. I had the replacement, but I only had one, so I wanted to make sure I put it in to the correct arm. I soaked the arm in some evaporust first, then black oxide coated it, before pressing in the new bushing. Should be ready to install soon. I appreciate your help!
Tool Metalworking hand tool Nickel Gas Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Tread Bumper Gesture

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh yes, and someone mentioned P/S vs. M/S arms. The power steering bushings have these teeth in the ends of the center sleeve to aide in returning the steering to center. Some of the new replacements say they are for both, but lack the teeth. With enough positive caster, you may not tell a difference, but helps to have a little spring back.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
To me, the Moog did not look right. I went with Raybestos, which looked more like OE.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
Thanks for showing the little teeth. Was wondering what they might look like. I have a '64 but used an after market ball bearing set up instead of the stock style bushing. Lost all my pics now but maybe I can find an example on the net.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
Found one on ebay. Then saw that they now make them also. At least summit has some. They didn't have new ones when I did mine in 2004. Car needs to be on the ground when tightening these, or at least that's what i was told when i did mine.

Publication Font Material property Parallel Engineering

Font Gold Currency Metal Money

Font Parallel Paper Paper product Publication

·
Registered
258 Posts
ShotRod, I remember the tri-5 Chevy folks calling those “poor man’s power steering.” I haven’t tried one but now you’ve got me thinking. Might help on my ‘65 with manual steering.
- John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts