Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill install disc brakes also at the rear part of the car. Yesterday I discovered that I need longer lug studs. Today I ordered 10 moroso studs With knurl diameter of 0.685 inches and 3 inches in length. Im not sure if the studs will fit, but I took the chance ;). Rockauto sells studs with 0.625 in diameter. My 63.5 Galaxie has small bearings and 28 splines. Someone knows what is the the correct knurl diameter and if the 0.685 studs can be used?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You shouldn't have ordered without removing ONE and testing it. the .685 is HUGE compared to the .625. There is NO WAY the larger will fit without drilling. And the Smaller will not stay in the hole

Drilling requires a Bench Drill and a Vice because the holes MUST be centered exactly, I DO NOT recommend doing this yourself just for reasons of your sanity and becasue a mis-drill will make for an ill fitting wheel and vibrations among other things.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to return the package I assume . I have a lug stud here, its more like 0.625

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Front and rear studs often had different shoulder diameters on the same car. Most classic Fords had this. I would have to look-up your car to say for sure if yours is one. But, if pulling one to measure, make sure it's a rear stud.

Also, some rear disc rotors pilot on the hub center, while others pilot on extended lug shoulders. Hub-centric needs short shoulders to fit, and lug-centric needs longer shoulders. Which system does yours use?

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts