Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot of different numbers thrown around when I ask what size bias ply tires came on the 1964 Galaxies. I talked to Greg Donahue today and he said V6's and small V8s came with 750x14 and all big block V8s came with 800x14. I would argue his "hard and fast" rule is incorrect.

I've done a lot of research and I think I have some concrete evidence using original window stickers. I was only able to find three window stickers, but they start to tell the story.

Here is a 352 with 750x14

Here is a Thunderbird 390 with 750x14

Here is a Police 390 with the "overside" 800x14 upgrade

It's well known that the wagons also came with 800's, and 427 cars had a larger Kelsey Hayes 15" rim and tire. More images of original window stickers are happily accepted and encouraged!

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions for the last nine months. Hopefully I am able to add some value into the system now!

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
He is wrong. There is no V6. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is wrong. There is no V6. :)
Whoops, that's my fault. His exact phrase (quoted from a write-up in Hemmings) was "Tire sizes were 7.50 x 14 (sixes and small-block V-8s) or 8.00 x 14 (big-block V-8s) most years, although 1961 and newer hi-po Galaxies sported 15 x 5.5-inch reinforced Kelsey Hayes wheels."

As established, I have a problem with his cut-and-dry, no-exceptions attitude. That being said, he still knows a lot and taught me a lot!

Ragan64 provided another valuable data point by sharing that his 352 came with 7.50x14.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoops, that's my fault. His exact phrase (quoted from a write-up in Hemmings) was "Tire sizes were 7.50 x 14 (sixes and small-block V-8s) or 8.00 x 14 (big-block V-8s) most years, although 1961 and newer hi-po Galaxies sported 15 x 5.5-inch reinforced Kelsey Hayes wheels."

As established, I have a problem with his cut-and-dry, no-exceptions attitude. That being said, he still knows a lot and taught me a lot!

Ragan64 provided another valuable data point by sharing that his 352 came with 7.50x14.
I know that this is a hella old thread, but I thought that I would add to the research material.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
Wow, radio and powersteering was spendy!

I know that this is a hella old thread, but I thought that I would add to the research material.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts