1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone set me streight on the correct
pushrods and head bolts for this setup.
I have a set of early 302 heads on a 65 289
I am not sure now if I use the correct pushrods after using 302 heads and I don't know if I should have use different head bolts.
<U></U>

·
Registered
128 Posts
Head bolts should be OK. You put sealer on the lower row of head bolts so they don't leak right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
To find out the proper length on your pushrods is to get two pushrods and two mechanical lifters if you dont have them already. Put an intake and an exhaust together like you normally would (make sure the lobes of your cam are down) tighten the rocker arms down untill you start to feel drag on them (rotate the pushrods with your fingers) turn the engine over by hand measure how much lift you have (how far the valve spring goes down) divide that by 2 then rotate the motor untill you have the valve half way down and look where the rocker arm is on the tip of the valve (the part thats touching the valve tip) if its in the middle its right. if its closer to the rocker arm you need a shorter pushrod. if its closer to the exhaust side its too long. I hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I believe that the trick is to get the pushrods that your heads and rocker arms would call for. For example, I have a set of 302 pedestal rocker heads and a set of 289 early close slot heads. The 289 pushrods are significantly shorter than the 302's in this particular case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts