Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to cut 1.5 coils on my 62 and put 3 inch blocks in the back, now Im looking to buy a new set of shocks. What would be the best way to determine the new shock length? A friend highly recommends the Bilstein nitrogen charged shocks?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
No, you are OK for stock dimension (not progressive racing) shocks. As to the operating range of the shocks (compressed and extended lengths) - if you did not change the operating range, you can use the same shocks as original. So, in your case, the front suspension ride height changed, though the actual operating range is no different than before. You are just riding lower in the same range. You can use original dimension shocks there of whatever brand you like. Likewise, the rear has changed 3" shorter in ride height, but because the shocks are still anchored in their original location (on the springs), the range from bottoming-out to fully extended is still the same. You can use original dimension shocks there as well.

Note - some shocks are progressive, and should be selected to operate at your new ride height at a certain point of their operating range. In this case, you should change your shock specs to suit. Shock manufacturers have listings of their shocks of different mounting types, operating ranges, and center-point. Give them a call to get the listings, or have them tell you their shock number that has the correct centered ride height compressed at 1.5" and 0" from stock. A generic example of shock types and specs by Monroe is here. This gets a bit tricky, and their recommendations are important to get a shock that works as-expected at your ride height. This shock type is usually reserved for competitive racing.

I hope that all makes sense and is helpful to you.

David

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I lowered mine 2 1/2 to 3 inches front and rear, and did nothing with the shock absorbers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I figured the stock length would be good but I also believe that a shock 2-3"s shorter in total length would be okay also. I should have the front end back together tmmrw minus the shocks, cant wait to get her back on the road.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Thanks, I figured the stock length would be good but I also believe that a shock 2-3"s shorter in total length would be okay also.
You would think, but considering the travel is the same, there is nothing to gain. However, there are some negatives, the most common is the suspension will not extend fully, greatly complicating or completely preventing tire changes. ;) Ask around, and you'll find guys that have to pull their shocks to change a flat.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts