Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Corvette Brakes on my 66 Galaxie :D

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been here, and updated my project. But I took a side hobby of jet skis, and let me just say I wasn't getting ANYTHING done to my project.
Jet skis sold, and with that said and done...here is my latest addition to it

I might get bashed from the Ford fathers, but my safety I think is priority ONE, and I dont really care about having a chevy part on my car. You can always paint the calipers and add "Ford" or "Galaxie" or "Brakes"
I added this in case anyone had brake upgrades in mind, and didnt want to spend 3, or 4k in other kits, where this one can be done in under $1,800 complete with rotors, brakes lines, brackets, hubs, you name it....add wheels and tires and go
This kit is the Z06 brakes with the 6 pistons

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Re: Corvette Brakes on my 66 Galaxie :D

Not sure where you got your prices from for the ford conversion but it isn't that expensive, i believe it runs bout the same as you paid for this. And if someone gather's the parts themselves from parts cars etc it's even less.

The only thing missing in this kit is the backing plates.
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/fro...-kit-4-piston-calipers-galaxie-1960-1966.html

And then there is this one that one of the forum members used.
Even buying backing plates it is a lower price than you mention. Half of what you paid for yours actually.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1968-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d02f86ba2&vxp=mtr

But if it makes your car go faster.... Doesn't bother me who made them only want to correct your pricing statement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have knowledge of those kits, but for my setup I found them not to be the best choice

When I said 3-4K I was referring more to those looking for 4-6 piston setups either from Brembo or Wilwood without having to modify the spindles.
I know for the needs of most here these are perhaps overkill, but I was just trying to put a kit out there that some people may not know of
I myself prefer these calipers over the SSBC ones....just my opinion

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hub pn? I sure hope you get the right size master cylinder, rears adjusted, bled correctly. :/ Wouldn't want another 100 page thread about install failures.

Looks awesome though. Makes me wish I still had my Galaxie. What are the PNs for the parts you've got? Or model/option packs they came from?

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Ggrahn, you sold your gal?? Didn't even know you sold it!

I have to agree mikhro, it is over kill for most. Why is it you needed the extra braking power? Is this to be for racing or something of that nature? Even in that case unless it's got the go power of say an S7, Lamborghini or something i don't see the advantage. Granted it's a heavy car but there are many heavy vehicles on the road today that stop well at high speeds if they don't run them into a pole or something with the average disc brake system.

Even a regular disc brake conversion is more than i want. I prefer to slow down before i get to the stop not at it and it seems to do well enough in sudden unexpected stops for me. Luckily those happen rarely and had more of those in the Los Angeles area, up here it's he tailgaters that are a problem. One day i would like to change to dual master but that is more a common sense thing in case of hose or cylinder failure. I just can't stop with the ebrake only like i did as a teen anymore when i had no other brakes. Not to mention a bit wiser than back then. :)

Even though a lot of Galaxie owners here used the GM one wire alternator swap and other small things i think the Corvette brakes is taboo, don't ask me why. They can be painted to cover up that despicable name. lol I only see them as over kill for myself but i'm a putt putter and don't need that caliber of braking.

Hope i'm not being irritating, not meaning too and not even bothered by this other than i'm curious to the reasoning behind such a hefty brake system for a Galaxie. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
is that the Kore3 kit or something else?

I've found that the small rotor diameters that I've got on my car fade way too fast when i take it out to kill cones.

I've been talking to Kore3 a bunch, but just have not pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yea. Upgrades in luxury ya know. We picked up an Audi A8 instead.

Zombiekiller: What pad/compound? Rotor style? Brake fluid? With 6 piston brakes and a large pad like you should have, you shouldn't be experiencing fade on an autocross course, even with Galaxie weight behind it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Even though a lot of Galaxie owners here used the GM one wire alternator swap and other small things i think the Corvette brakes is taboo, don't ask me why.
Oh, then I guess this one's out too:

Porsche Cayenne 6-pots on 14in Coleman rotors on a '70-72 Galaxie drum-brake spindle, for my '64 Country Sedan. The calipers will be cleaned off and powdercoated silver before the car hits the road in any case.

The bracket pictured is just a prototype, it's correct in the major dimensions though the outside contour will change a bit and the final piece will probably be cut from 4130 bar. Whole thing needs a little nip off the steering stop on the lower arm to clear.

You will notice that it was necessary to prune the steering arm off the spindle. I'm working on a design for a new bolt-on arm that will extend behind the caliper. A lot like they do on Audis, in fact...it will still put the tie-rod end in the stock location.

Don't have any pics of the rear setup yet, the Cayenne rear calipers and widened Jag S-type R parking-brake calipers on the MN12 Thunderbird IRS upright, the hydraulic-brake caliper bracket is done but I'm still playing with parking-brake bracket dimensions.

Since we're talking Audis...that parking brake caliper design has (so far at least) been used only on a handful of models: mid '00s Jag S-type R and XJR with the Brembo brakes, the Ford GT, the Audi R8, and the '08-09 Jag XKR with the Alcon brake package. They're different widths, and we have a bit of a Goldilocks situation: the earlier Jags oddly used a thin 5/8in thick solid rotor, the GT and R8 used a fat 1.25in thick rotor, while the late XKR used a 1.1in rotor - just right.

But the S-type R calipers are $50 used while all the rest are $500+ new. Fortunately, you can split the S-type R calipers in half and space the halves apart but then the pad retaining pins and anti-rattle spring are too short. You can buy the XKR pin sets from Jaguar:

and they fit quite nicely in the modified S-type calipers:

but...I thought the $60 a set Audi wanted for the R8 pin sets was ridiculous (and, as the owner of a ten-year-old S6 wagon I'm pretty well acquainted with Audi parts prices.)

Jag wants $125 list ($90-100 with a friendly discount), per set, for the damn things. Yes, a hundred bucks for two steel pins and a spring total weight a couple ounces.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shotrod, no worries, you're not being irritating....in fact, I appreciate the input and ideas, because it gives me a different perspective on things.
I value yours, and Ggrahn's advice to the most, as you folks have been around these cars more than I have

I'm just trying to bring the modern car experience I have, and incorporate it on our outdated designed cars.

@Ggrahn, here is my invoice....and I would also like to correct myself, it wasnst 1,800 as I thought, it was 1,400 as I didnt take the brake pads, and other minor things I didnt need at the moment.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for the list. That caliper is the 6pot that almost everyone is using now. The only change is the mounting ears. Parts will be easy to find.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Jem -yep out out out! lol

I don't like seeing the 350s in half the old fords out there, mostly the 20s and such but it only makes me appreciate the rare one i see with a ford engine. But at the same time i have to admit that some wouldn't even be on the road otherwise. I have asked why of a few of those such cars around here and a couple of them it was that they didn't have a ford engine, they couldn't afford it or that's what they had lieing around to use to get the car on the road. Others it was cheaper parts and more availability. Have to look at the bright side, they are on the road and it makes the all ford ones more valuable. lol

As for brakes and components for upgrade like you are doing, doesn't phase me a bit. I'm stuck in the past with my generator, points and drum brakes but that's what i know and i hate change. ;)

Be sure to let us know how it all works for you, huge difference from the standard tbird disc conversion or just average. Or if it's a mind thing, knowing they work better with out seeing a night and day difference. Curious to know really since sometimes alterations don't physically make a dramatic performance change but peace of mind makes one feel better if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea. Upgrades in luxury ya know. We picked up an Audi A8 instead.

Zombiekiller: What pad/compound? Rotor style? Brake fluid? With 6 piston brakes and a large pad like you should have, you shouldn't be experiencing fade on an autocross course, even with Galaxie weight behind it.
right now they are only 12" rotors and two pots.

The surface area of the pistons is my issue, as is the thickness of the rotors.

My plan is to do front and rear c6 z06 brakes. I've just had to re-align my current work items on my car, as it currently does not move under its own power and I need to move to a different state shortly.

I've been using powerslots and ssbc pads with ate superblue ( or gold depending on which was already in the system, changing color makes it easy to tell when i'd gotten all of the old fluid out).

No fluid issues, the problem is that the rotors just do not have enough surface area. It was super noticeable at a road course. Go into corners with this beast and by the 5th or 6th high speed corner, the brakes are saying " eh, we're tired".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts