Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,, new here, and sorta new to car stuff. although I'm 60. I'm asking about a sorta ford,, the 76 mark iv pucci,, 460 engine.. Ford has those too.

well, i changed the carb, but doest have as many stems for hoses as the 4350, so i have some open ends, i have attached a video that better explains and shows, the problem with out me doing a dissertation,,, its only a shade over a minute

as it got hooked up, it did start the car fine,,,whereby the other carb wouldnt with out gas in the carb. but now i have a strange hi pitched noise, also attached is a video of it so i dont have to try to explain the noise,,

so if any one has a thought on any of these two items, i would really appreciate it,, i have read the manuals, but not getting the info from them the i am needing to proceed

thanks again

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Finding them can be a pain as it mixes in with the engine and fan noise.
Is the carb tight? NOT overtightened? That can warp it.
When I hear a noise or vacuum leak under the hood I’m trying to track down, I either use my hand or a small maybe 6x6” piece of cardboard and move it around the engine compartment. When the noise is covered it will obviously change the loudness of the sound. It might sound overly simple, but it’s helped me track down phantom noises before

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is there a vacuum hose diagram underneath the hood? Or maybe track one down online.
You might have to buy a few T’s to hook up the rest of the vacuum lines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a vacuum hose diagram underneath the hood? Or maybe track one down online.
You might have to buy a few T’s to hook up the rest of the vacuum lines
no, i didn't see one,, also, i looked in the service manuals.. but didnt find the info, albeit, its a lot of big books.. i couldnt find the vacuum section, found everything else,, electrical, motor, etc,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Finding them can be a pain as it mixes in with the engine and fan noise.
Is the carb tight? NOT overtightened? That can warp it.
When I hear a noise or vacuum leak under the hood I’m trying to track down, I either use my hand or a small maybe 6x6” piece of cardboard and move it around the engine compartment. When the noise is covered it will obviously change the loudness of the sound. It might sound overly simple, but it’s helped me track down phantom noises before
I did indeed find the main leak,, it was, as you suggested around the base of the carb,, i tightened it down gently and it all went a way,, also found a cut in the line that attached to the back of the carb, cut it off and got it back on,, so, with some other help, i got the tube wiring back together, and my vacuum pressure is holding at 16. running MUCH smoother,, still a little wobble, but it has nt really ben run for about 6 months,,

thanks again for the help and suggestions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts