Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the carpet out of my 64 fastback today. Needed to fix a hole in the driver floor pan right by the gas pedal. Found a little more rot but not that bad. I’ll patch it up.
Few ID questions. I assume the carpet was original is everything under there was more or less from 64.

1. What is the shifter tower sheet metal called that bolts into the trans tunnel? Mines been hacked at a little. Want to see if a repro is worth buying.

2. What is the wire that goes right through the floor? Under the car it’s been cut and hanging loose. So I’ve always wondered what it was.

3. There was a brown cable that had been cut at both ends with several colored wires in it. It was cut at firewall and back seat. The carpet was never removed to remove the actual cable. Any

I’ll clean it up. Spray it with corrosion inhibitor and paint. Put down some Fatmat and have ordered fresh carpet.

The gas pedal was already weak and broke off when I tried to pull the carpet over it. Shockingly chinsey design from the factory there. It seems to be just a plastic hinge?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 convertable
901 Posts
idoubt any wire went through the floor origionaly.
the gas pedal was indeed just a rubber hinge. held down with 2- 5/16 countersink screws. look how long it lasted

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Ill look at mine good and see if I think I need it. Im kinda on the fence about buying a couple of patch panels or just making a couple small patches. Havent decided yet.

And Im sure its possible someone had the carpet up ages ago to drill a hole there. The carpet that is in it is certainly old. I cant for the life of me figure out why they would want wire down there though. Whatever it was they later abandoned it because it was just loose wires when I got it under the floor pan.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Pulled the carpet out of my 64 fastback today. Needed to fix a hole in the driver floor pan right by the gas pedal. Found a little more rot but not that bad. I’ll patch it up.
Few ID questions. I assume the carpet was original is everything under there was more or less from 64.

1. What is the shifter tower sheet metal called that bolts into the trans tunnel? Mines been hacked at a little. Want to see if a repro is worth buying.

2. What is the wire that goes right through the floor? Under the car it’s been cut and hanging loose. So I’ve always wondered what it was.

3. There was a brown cable that had been cut at both ends with several colored wires in it. It was cut at firewall and back seat. The carpet was never removed to remove the actual cable. Any

I’ll clean it up. Spray it with corrosion inhibitor and paint. Put down some Fatmat and have ordered fresh carpet.

The gas pedal was already weak and broke off when I tried to pull the carpet over it. Shockingly chinsey design from the factory there. It seems to be just a plastic hinge?
Just one point for you. My 63 had a similar problem on the floorboard in the pedal area. Patched it nicely and put in new thick carpet throughout and a new accelerator pedal. Did not realize for a long time that the patch and new thick carpeting did not then allow the bent throttle bracket/lever that goes through the firewall to travel to as far as it use to. It would hit the now more padded floor carpeting sooner and then not push the engine throttle rod as far as it did before. That cause me not to get full throttle when I got on it. With my tri power setup the only way I could gain back that throttle rod travel was to pull out the through the firewall bent bracket/lever and put it in a vice and bend it slightly to keep it from bottoming out on the floor as soon as it was. Works awesome now,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice thank you. So I had the cut that area completely out today. Can’t even really tell what those screw heads look like. In fact it looks like they are two different types. A hex head machine screw and a Phillips.

I did a google search and came up empty on a repro screw. So I just grab a couple 5/16 screws with countersunk heads? . Also. Do they have any backing or do they just screw through the toe panel there where it overlaps?

I was out there for a while today with a wire wheel. The passenger side I can just make a couple little patches. The driver, do to their being some cancer in the bead rolled sections as well as the gas pedal needing to be reinstalled in the correct location I think I’m going to spend $70 on a patch panel. Haven’t made up my mind yet on the shift tower.

·
Registered
63 convertable
901 Posts
ive seen them with square nuts welded to the underside, and just sheetmetal screws through the floor

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again mine were kinda too corroded to be sure, but it looked like just big sheet metal screws.

but I had the same thought. If the sheet metal screws aren’t holding I can just use bolts with nuts. It all goes under the carpet anyway. Mine isn’t exactly a 100 point restoration.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wiring you photographed sure looks like it was burnt or problematic - glad you caught that.
it was inert. No idea what it’s purpose was but when I found it dangling under the car a couple years ago I checked it with a meter.

land the brown cable was just a length of cable. Whatever it was for it was severed ad the firewall and backseat.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
The wires under the car were probably the reverse light switch on shifter. The small harness may have been from a reverb. Had a reverb in my 64 Mercury and 63.5 Galaxie. They were popular option before the days of Stereo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts