Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of something, and I truly dont have my mind set, so I am looking for A holes, I mean opinions.

I did the inner cowl hat replacment repair on mine, still need to close it up. But, big butt here, I saw something in Mod Mustangs and Fords - guy was asking about cowl repairs, and one of the options they mentioned was closing off the outter cowl vent all together. Makeing the upper cowl flush, flat, smnooth. Looked pretty good.

I know I have done a lot of work to repair this cowl, but also aware I dont intend to ever use heat, AC etc. I replaced them with the mind set that someone may want to restore the car one day, and a little fresh air never hurts? Just wondering if anyone has ever done this, and how much LABOR it took, and what you guys think.

This is sort of up there with shaved drip rails, makes it look really clean. I do intend to mount my fuel pres gauge out there so not really worried about the orginality of the car. My concern is more time, changing gears in mid project, adding more labor and hours to something Iam way behind on to begin with.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I have looked at something similar but wanted to duct the carb intake to the firewall into the cowl for fresh air intake. If sealing off the vents into the inside should be good.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
look at modified mustang and fast ford April 2011 issue they do a neat reverse scoop on the "project generation gap" car ImageUploadedByAutoguide1347131790.901801.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did this on my 66 coupe 16yrs ago. I love the look. The hood "seems" much longer with the vents closed, However the heater doesn't work as well as I'd like now. I did run a 4" flex tube under the pass. fender to the next low pressure area available in the car (wheel well). It worked fine for those "cold" Florida mornings but since I've moved back to Jersey (still not sure why...) not so much. Granted I don't drive it in the winter anymore but on those frosty October days she takes her sweet time defrosting the glass....

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this on my 66 coupe 16yrs ago. I love the look. The hood "seems" much longer with the vents closed, However the heater doesn't work as well as I'd like now. I did run a 4" flex tube under the pass. fender to the next low pressure area available in the car (wheel well). It worked fine for those "cold" Florida mornings but since I've moved back to Jersey (still not sure why...) not so much. Granted I don't drive it in the winter anymore but on those frosty October days she takes her sweet time defrosting the glass....
Thanks, this is mostly a strip car that will be at the occasional cruise, jaunt around the block in spring, summer, nice fall.

How much effort, time was involved. I am thinking some 18 gauge plates cut to fit, tacked over the existing grates. Or did you totally remove them grates and start over?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts