Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was going through a pair of 351W heads I picked up and I noticed that around one of the valve guides, on the exhaust, the "meat" around the guide is cracked. Basically, if you were looking in through exhaust port you would noticed that little more than a quarter of the meat around the guide is missing. Would this be a concern? I imagine this could cause some turbulence, but would that be the least of my worries? Would the head still be functionally sound? Thanks for any replies. I'll try and see if I can post a picture of it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how to have the pictures display here, but it seems I can link to where they are hosted:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/pictures/sleeperstang

Let me know what you guys think. The pictures aren't the best quality, I don't have my digital camera at the moment except for my cell phone. If you look closely enoug you can see the ridges around the guide. Thanks again for any replies!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 10/16/06 6:34pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I did a set of 351W heads just like those, when I ported them a just smoothed out the guide bosses to the guide. possable cause; guide bore to tight for the new guides that were installed......

Good luck......

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, so they shouldn't be a problem if I just smooth out the casting around the guide. I'll do that some time this week. I was just worried that perhaps the guide my begin to slip since there is less clamping force around it. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have another question. I called one of the more popular machine shops for a quote on having the rocker stud boss machines down for screw-in studs and quideplates. They quoted me $175. I believe that's just for the machine work. Does that sound right? Any comments would be appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts