Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this as I was installing a new Melling M68 oil pump in my 302. That ain't good! I'm not sure I want to use a Melling now. Anybody have a recommendation for a better quality oil pump (standard volume, for small block Ford)?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Melling is a decent brand. I'll bet somebody dropped it while still in the box and cracked the ear. Swap it for another at the store.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Melling is a decent brand. I'll bet somebody dropped it while still in the box and cracked the ear. Swap it for another at the store.

David
that would have been a very hard drop , also knock the threads out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't look like I have much choice. Sealed Power is the only other pump I can get locally, and I'm pretty sure it's just a rebranded Melling.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did a little more searching & found this on another forum (cut & pasted):

I think I would watch out for the M68 Pump-Melling had pressure from the OEM's to "lighten" their pump (weight wise), and the castings became thinner, with a rumored switch to powdered metal gears (not good)-the powdered metal gears don't absorb impacts well, and will shatter if they get too much trash through them-

Melling has realized these problems, and in response to an outcry from the performance market, have come out with an upgraded M68 (called the M68A, or Melling Part# 10687)-basically, the casting is better, the pump housing and cover are CNC'd, the housing is phosphate coated, the Gears are upgraded and not PM-they do cost more (I just bought one for my BBC, and it was about $110.00)-

Plus, comparing my 7 year old Melling M-68 to the new one that cracked, you can see there is definitely less material now around that bolt hole. I would just get the upgraded Melling 10687 but I also came across another forum posting where somebody cracked the exact same flange I did.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Oops, I missed your question Dan. Yes, the flange cracked as I was tightening the bolt.
. next pump check the bolt size and the pump threads .
by hand the bolt should screw into the pump easy. . pickup flange and pump for a flat mating surface .

The Bolt , make sure there is threads still in the pickup , to long of a bolt (shank part/no threads) will split the pump

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was not a problem with the threads or the bolt. I'm fairly certain it was a defect in the casting. Like I said, I found another thread where someone else had the exact same issue with a Melling oil pump.

I put in a Ford Racing oil pump. No problems bolting it up.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I guess I will be staring a lot harder at oil pumps the next time around. Thanks for the heads up. They build oil pumps for a half a gazillion years and they work fine so what do they do? Change them and invent new flaws to deal with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my old M-68 and new one with the cracked flange. You can see how the new pump has less material around that lower bolt hole. Oddly enough though there is more material around the upper bolt hole. Could be the casting hasn't changed, just that they machined the holes off center.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Here's my old M-68 and new one with the cracked flange. You can see how the new pump has less material around that lower bolt hole. Oddly enough though there is more material around the upper bolt hole. Could be the casting hasn't changed, just that they machined the holes off center.

in post #2 (first reply) , why do you think I asked that question .

btw , do have a habit of asking when I know the answer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The combination of wall thickness around that bolt hole, plus the brittle nature of cast iron are exactly why it cracked. Dan, if you don't like my posts then don't bother replying to them.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
The combination of wall thickness around that bolt hole, plus the brittle nature of cast iron are exactly why it cracked. Dan, if you don't like my posts then don't bother replying to them.
have it your way .

will tell you this , you wouldnt want to bet big bucks on it .

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I found this as I was installing a new Melling M68 oil pump in my 302. That ain't good! I'm not sure I want to use a Melling now. Anybody have a recommendation for a better quality oil pump (standard volume, for small block Ford)?

you found this!!!!! mean you did this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts