Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my slicks have 1 or 2 very small cracks on the sidewall that only seem to be on the surface of the tire (these are brand new slicks). Should i worry about these?

Please let me know, Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: growlin351w on 10/16/05 7:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
134 Posts
if its a small surface scratch its questionable?
If its cracks or small splits, its unquestionable. Return um.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Not a real good sign:

The sidewall covering protects the cords from sunlight, moisture and air, which I understand may cause deterition, weakening of the carcass.

I am thinking these are old stock. Did you get these as thru a "Blow-out" sale or special?

I wouldn't guarantee they will cause you problems down the line, but if I had my choice...I wouldn't make the purchase (unless the price was damn good, I am a cheap bastard after all - it's human nature).

The point is, racing is dangerous enough, under the best circumstances...so adding something that causes you pause, think...might not be a good thing, if you can help it.

Slicks are going to work the sidewall, especially if you drop the pressure, a lot more than regular tires.

On the other hand, it may not matter, it might be a result of the construction of the silck, they may use a very thin coat on the sidewall, because unlike street tires, you don't expect them to be rubbing on curbs when parking.

If you are real concerned, see if the mfg. has a help line that you can call for info, advice. Might help make you feel better about them?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is normal to get wrinkles in the sidewalls of the slicks if they are working right. Wrinkles okay cracks questionable.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon further inspection there are only two very small surface cracks (probably 1/4" long). Ive been doing some reading and have come to the realization that tires do crack and the slicks i have here have most likely been sitting a bit too long (i got a very good deal on them). I think there still usable though, what do you guys think? (my guess is that i should not worry.) The tires overall look perfect and the slick surface is also perfect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: growlin351w on 10/17/05 5:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Goodyear slicks, right?

They're notorious for that. I never have gotten more than 200 passes out of a pair of 14x32's...the tread would last forever, but the sidewalls were done by 175 passes. At 160, it would start losing consistency, by 175 it would vary .03 in the 60' times either way.

Sadly, I haven't found anything that works any better. At least my Hoosiers and M/Ts don't wear the sidewalls out; they just wear the tread out first. The Hoosiers lasted the longest but were heavier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts