Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after blowing a wheel cyilnder and spending some quality time with the brakes, I once again discovered that the unilug cragars are a pain to work with. Lug nuts with oblong washers, and it seems to take me forever to get them mounted properly. Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble with the unilug design? I like the look of the cragars, but I hate having to take them off for any reason.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i know plenty of people who have seen uni-lug wheels pass them on the highway...

and yes they can be dificult to get aligned when ya mount them... just be sure they are tight.. and recheck them after ya drive them a bit.. i hate to see anyone lose a wheel...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, they are a bitch, but the more times you do it, the easier it gets. I spent 1 1/2 hrs the first time putting them on but lots faster now. I think the trouble is worth the looks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I too have a love/hate relationship with them. I have gotten a lot better at pulling and mounting, but I won't win pit crew of the year award. I even snapped a lug taking one off once. If Cragar ever made specific bolt pattern SSs, I would gladly buy a new set!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I always wondered about some way of fixing them in place. There has got to be an adhesive that would work. Sure you would have to be real careful putting the wheels on, but anything has to be better than trying to get those washers to line up every time! Do they make them with the correct bolt pattern? Probably real expensive and it would limit resale.
?

352-Edelbrock4V-Hookers-Mallory Dizzy-Cruise-O-3.00 Open
New Chassis Being Prepped
Did you ever wonder why?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chooch65 on 8/5/06 10:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The Cragar II's, which come in Bling-Bling sizes, are not unilug. Unfortunately...Far as I am concerned - they don't look as good a Classic Cragar’s.

I've been running Cragar’s on my 65 Galaxie for years, actually I usually try Cragars on every car I own - first. I end up replacing them every 3-4 years with a new set. I sell the old ones to someone that doesn't mind the chrome over aluminum peeling that happens. Still, visually, they are such a perfect design. The only designs that come close are the Torque Thrust and Torque Thrust II or Keystone Klassic (too busy).

Much as I like Cragar’s - Even I have to admit; they do have their problems. They seem to be an attractant for pet relief, like honey attracts bees. I don't know that it is, but dogs will pass by all the cars in the neighborhood, just to visit my Cragar’s...

Not only do I hate the unilugs, I hate tire shops, they seem to delight in replacing my unilugs with crap from the shop floor or left-over parts bin.. I have yet to leave a shop without having to check unilugs and nuts for substituted worn out crap. Seems most tire monkeys think customer cars are an endless supply of what ever they can salvage without you noticing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/5/06 10:38pm ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
Amen to that. I recently bought new tires for my other car and they put some beat up POS valve caps on. "Out The Door" pricing means get it out the door fast!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been running Cragars on my 65 since I bought it in '95. I run spinners on them. There is only one thing worse than lining up unilugs. Lining up unilugs with spinner caps....

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I used to be a tire buster about 25 years ago and the best method I found is line up one lug dead at the top and spin the nut on just short of being tightened. Then you can balance the wheel and allow it to swing side to side allowing you to thread the others on easier. I worked piece work so you got real fast real fast ;^) Stu

And yes they are a PITA! I like ARE 200S's better personally

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And to add insult to injury, now I have a lug stud thats spinning. Going to make getting the wheel off that much more difficult.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Galaxie on 8/7/06 10:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-08-05 19:05, madsapper wrote:
I have been running Cragars on my 65 since I bought it in '95. I run spinners on them. There is only one thing worse than lining up unilugs. Lining up unilugs with spinner caps....

About the spinners, being a PITA - Sooooooo, True!

But with them, they look so cool on the right car.

If you have cheap tires, don't buy custom wheels, spend the money on good tires. Sure, flats can happen, but I have seldom had a flat...on the road or in town, except under suspicious circumstances.

My method for installing Cragars with unilugs:

1. Loosely install 2 of the nuts, without the unilugs.
2. Rotate the wheel until the 2 you have nuts on are on top, the wheel will tend to find the right balance when its hanging on them.
3. Install the next nut with the unilug; make sure it is center correctly.
4. Install the next 2.
5. Remove and re-install the 1st two nuts, this time with unilugs.
6. Go back and tighten all the lugs again, be sure to check the lugs for tightness after 5 - 10 miles, just to be sure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/9/06 3:00am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Thanks, Beowolf. good practical advice.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I love my cragers with the spinners their a little harder to put on but how many times are you going to be taking them off anyway?

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
On 2006-08-05 19:13, Stanley427 wrote:
Cragars are old school outdated. Why bother.
Some of us like "old school" which is sure becoming a term to toss around a lot lately or is it just me? Almost like "Muscle Car". An easy term for some of us "older" people trying to recapture youth maybe.

I used to have cragars on mine way back then I changed to the US slotted mags and now I have the economy shiney wheels. At least til one day when I can afford some chrome reverse or some kind of moon type wheel. I won't ever put the slotted mags on my car again either. Don't want to be replacing studs again. But they were nice, or I thought they were at the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts