Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I a 95GT that I am wanting to install a vented catch can on, in order to vent crankcase gases and stop oil from entering the intake stream. I have been looking at Morosos part#85473. They are saying this tank can be used for this purpose along with the use of their positive seal fittings installed in the valve covers. The only problem with this set up is that these fittings are large and I believe you have to mount them on the side of the cover. My valve covers are short, and I do not have alot of room to do this. Do I have to use these fittings? They are nothing more than a male AN fitting with a nut on the other end. Could I just come off the top of each valve cover with a hose, into the can? Can I use a PCV valve to come out of the VC, or a AN fitting? Does there have to be some sort of check valve inline? Also, im guessing the catch can needs to be baffled. Is this correct? Another question. What size lines should I run from the vavle covers to tje can? Theres alot of cans that I have seen on the internet. Has anyone used these breather tanks before? Any adivce, pictures of your setups, or links to products that you have used would be much appreciated. Im trying to plan this project out, so that it done right the first time, with the right parts. Thanks

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
You can use whatever valve cover fittings that will fit and block splashing oil from the valve train from going into the line to the catch can. This will greatly decrease the frequency of draining the can. Another improvement is to leave the can drain open (or replace with a barbed nibble) with a tube back to the side of your block or top of your oil pan, so it self-drains all the time.

Yes, the catch cans are baffled, some with physical partitions, and others with a mesh or SS wool filler. Be warned, while they keep oil out if the intake air stream, they can also constantly blow crankcase fumes out and into the car windows or vents, making it stink. A fix is to remove the breather filter from the can, and run the outlet to a pan evac system to suck the fumes out and into the exhaust to exit further back. A similar option is to use an electric vac pump to suck the fumes from the can and blow them out lower or further back. The big up-side to the evac systems is they can draw fresh air into the opposite valve cover to flush the acidic fumes out of the crankcase - not just let them puke out and leave residues.

You could use a gutted PCV valve setup as you do not need a check valve, and you want very free flow. Use the size hose that matches the can fittings or larger.

David

PS: If you are running MAF EFI still, you'll need to block the intake ducting crankcase inlets after the MAF of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I dont really understand what you mean about the pan evac system. Can you explain a little more about that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts