Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or two ago I had to bypass my heater core because the replacement core I installed about two years ago started leaking. Now I see the power steering pump I put on about a year and a half ago is leaking pretty badly too. What a bunch of crap!!! Fortunately I still have the original heater core and I'm going to see about having it recored but I seem to be stuck with reman units for the power steering.

Anyone know of a source for an actual GOOD power steering pump with reservoir for a 65 Galaxie equipped with FE engine and air conditioning? Fortunately the thing is real easy to get to but it sure would be nice to have it not drool all over the engine compartment every year after installing another piece of crap pump.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Get the reseal/rebuild kit and do it yourself. They arent that hard to rebuild from reading about it. Just have to borrow/rent the pulley puller tool from one of the box stores if you dont have one or want to buy one. M2C.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I assume your p/s pump looks similar to this one:

If so, before you go rent/buy a pulley puller, check to make sure:

A) the hose(s) aren't leaking there (and the press hose itself is ok), plus, the rear of the res 'can' check valve to pressure hose connection is nice and dry (that's where the can seals up against the back of the pump).

B) that it's only the large reservoir O-ring leaking, and not the small shaft seal. In which case, no puller needed.

As mentioned, you can then buy a pump "short" kit which consists of o-ring and can gasket (at check valve).

As a former Ford tech, and looong time Ford partsman during that era, I can attest to how infamous these were for leaking at the o-ring (altho not nearly as bad as those "C-II" pumps circa 1978/).
If you determine it's just the O-ring, check to see that the "can" is nice and round, and doesn't have any dings/nicks right at the o-ring groove, a common malady on poor quality reman units (rebuilders leaving pry marks on the can's lip, etc).

Hopefully it's something easy and you'll be done lickety-split. :)

Norm

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...or CARDONE REMAN. Ask specifically for the name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts