Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to begin a build (1956 Ford F100 big window). I'm trying to get some homework done before I get started.

I am attempting to reach several goals by the end of this project. 1) Have a truck that is near show quality, but can be usable as a weekend toy ( I am going to drive use it). 2) Have enough horsepower not to want want to go bigger a year after the build is complete. 3) Be relatively basic in design (mechanically) so it won't have to be towed to Detroit if there are issues that arrive down the road.

I have already decided that Total Cost involved will be building the frame and full suspension.

This brings me to the next issue. I have been looking at Ford Racing. I am leaning toward the 351 (they have a 450 HP that is topping the list at the moment. I am also leaning toward a 3 speed AOD transmission.

This is currently where I am looking for input. I am looking for the truck to have loads of horsepower. Not that it is going to be put to use very often, but I want it to be there if the need arises. I also know that is in most people's view this is too much horsepower for any truck. This is purely a personal preference.

I am also seeking input regarding a transmission that will work well with a 351 and be able to withstand some punishment from time to time.

This truck belonged to my Dad. He wanted to "Hot Rod" it, but never got to make it happen before he passed away. This project is a tribute to him as well as a gift to myself. I already know it can be done cheaper and many cost cutting corners can be taken, but I am following a direction he began and I wish to continue. This truck will remain in the family and be passed down in a little better condition than I received it in. I hope this explains where I am coming from.

So if anyone has an opinion or knowledge in this area, please feel free to share the information. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
644 Posts
When you say AOD you mean the 4 speed not 3 speed,overdrive Ford tranny. You may want to look at the later AOD-E Ford overdrive trans, computer controller & there are a few great aftermarket controllers for it, Baumman comes to mind, look at their site &/or Lentech autos.
If it is the cable controlled older AOD your considering, much easier/cheaper to set up, with a TV cable. Don;t run an AOD without TV cable, you can cook em very quickly without it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd go with the AOD, can take that 450 easy with the correct build.. and it will bolt to the Windsor or Cleveland
block easy...

The electronic controlled AODE or 4R70W are great, but I am not a fan of after market controller's..

I just made that mistake, installed the 4R70W behind my Cleveland... for the money and hassle an
AOD mild build would have cost less and that money could be spent on (Gas) hahaha
Best

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sand- Can I ask why you don't like the electronic Ford OD? I;ve heard great things about using them in our old Fords. I ran an AOD for a few years, I didn't like the "shift when I want to" AOD & doing the -Take off in 1st, shift to 2nd then pull back into 1st to get wot in 2nd, routine to get the most out of the AOD.
Mind you, with a switch to a Lentech valve body, you get full manual control in all gears & a simple switch or foot pedal to let it shift automaticly, like stock, Lentech valve body did make the AOD a great swap.
The only issues I see with the 4RW70 or AOD-E, is the buty in for a controller, is what, like 500 bucks?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts