Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to a machine shop in my local area. He does sprint cars and dragster type work. So not just some machine shop that does general stuff. Anyway he gave me a quote to go through my 289 and put some heads (edlbrauch sp?) heads and freshen the motor up. Yeah balancing etc etc.. But $5K.

Now thats low end crate motor land, like Blueprint or even Ford Racing land for crate engines. I did rough math I could get a Blueprint 347 short block with Scat crank/parts and some ShelbyAFR heads for about that price.

I admit I probably wouldnt feel the difference between a stock 5.0 out of an Explorer to a 347 stroker. I was originally leaning towards the whole Shelby 289 crate engine but $20K.. I think not.

I am thinking of buying the short block and get some good heads and everything under warentee is the best option. Since my 289 has a nice intake. But going with a complete dressed Ford Racing or Blueprint engine is not bad either. But $5K to rebuild my 289? Some please give me their opinion on this.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You will tell a huge difference between a 302 and a 347. Just rebuild the 289 yourself and save a ton and learn something in the process.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
How are you going to use it? Do you want K-code type sound and performance, or more, or does it matter? While $5k for a rebuild and new heads is a bit steep, perhaps he's building for substantially greater power? Need more info on what you really want.

David

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You will tell a huge difference between a 302 and a 347
That's an understatement. On a scale of 1-10...The word "Huge" will be around a 7 or 8...don't know a word for a 10. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you go with the crate motor what will you do with the old one? I paid $5K for a 331 stroker that was too good a deal to pass up and now I have a 289 sitting in my garage with a wife asking me what I'm going to do with it. The 289 has some great parts in it also. Edelbrock, Cloyes, Melling, Isky, Crane, etc. Plus GT40 heads. I went with the 331 because it was turn-key and I didn't have the time or space to work the bugs out of the old one. PSIG has a good point. How will you use it? Is it just a grocery getter or a head turning daily driver? You also mentioned a warranty. Would you have to ship back the crate motor if there was a problem? Then you have the down time, too. Talk to some of the shops customers and try to get their opinion of the builders work. These things are never easy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for as rebuild myself. I dont have the place, tools to do it.
Downtime of the car is kinda important. I thought about pulling the motor taking it to a body shop, having them do the Crites shock tower mod and also doing a professional replacement of the floor pans. Then doing a 427 stroker. But I am thinking the 427 is way more motor than I need. The 289 is nice but needs some more gitty up. And the stroker 347 is not a bad price.

I thought what I would do with the 289. I am sure I could sale on CraigsList to recoop some money.

I am thinking I could do the 347 shortbllock with Scat and doing some Shelby/AFR heads, get some nice valve covers use the intake and whatever else I need from my 289. Maybe get a new distributor. But would be in that range and have a really hot motor.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I did not see where you said what was wrong with your 289.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
My 289 was stroked to a 331, solid roller cam, Canfield heads.

You will be able to tell a difference between it and a 5.0!!
The only thing that has taken a little to get use to is solid lifter noise at idle.
Not that it's bad, just not use to it.

If your thinking of buying a short block, then buying heads. Don't forget rockers and pushrods, head gaskets etc. Why not just buy a Long block
and be done?

Try DSS, I got my 331 Kit from them. 306LR\331\347 Pro Bullet Long Block

Jet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts