Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Galaxie 500 and I love the car. It is uncommon enough to get people asking me about it wherever I go and I enjoy that sort of thing.

But truth be told I never really fell in love with the tail lights. So I got this idea to look for some 68 Charger tail lights and what do I find? A set of them on eBay slightly damaged but perfect for my purposes.

I haven't received them yet but when I do I am going to fashion some mounts for them and paint them up pretty. Should look very close to this photoshop mock up I made below.

Now before you get angry with me here realize that I don't intend to destroy any part of my original Galaxie to do this. I will make separate tail light assemblies that will just bolt in and plug in to the unaltered car. No Galaxie tail lights will be harmed either.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Pull all the Ford emblems off and you'll have some scratching their head on the make of the car.
Yeah... Please debadge it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think it is a great idea.

While I like the 70 over the 69 tail lights I too am working to customize my 70 ltd into a 69.5 XL taking what I like and making it special. These cars aren't worth a ton so make it what you want it's your darn car!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a 1970 Galaxie 500 and I love the car. It is uncommon enough to get people asking me about it wherever I go and I enjoy that sort of thing.

But truth be told I never really fell in love with the tail lights. So I got this idea to look for some 68 Charger tail lights and what do I find? A set of them on eBay slightly damaged but perfect for my purposes.

I haven't received them yet but when I do I am going to fashion some mounts for them and paint them up pretty. Should look very close to this photoshop mock up I made below.

Now before you get angry with me here realize that I don't intend to destroy any part of my original Galaxie to do this. I will make separate tail light assemblies that will just bolt in and plug in to the unaltered car. No Galaxie tail lights will be harmed either.

What do you guys think?
If they fit that well the will look great. Do not worry about the nay sayer, restoration only, put on ford part, purists its you car and do what you like to it. If they give you too much grief than find another board to join.

then again I am not one to leave things alone

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
tell everyone its from Australia, and you converted it to LHD - youll get nothing but great job comments- till you run into a Aussie anyways :)

seriously, I think that looks great, I kinda always liked the 69 over the 70 lights, probably because it was my first car...

Tim

·
Registered
480 Posts
If they fit that well the will look great. Do not worry about the nay sayer, restoration only, put on ford part, purists its you car and do what you like to it. If they give you too much grief than find another board to join.

then again I am not one to leave things alone

Are those Jaguar headlights?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott that grill looks great!

I got my 68 Charger tail lights today, they are the perfect scale! This is a pic of them just sitting in my tail light hole, they will stick out a little further when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That is bad a$$.... and yeah now ya have a SE ver of the galaxie... ;) or thats what you can tell the head scratchers....lol

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
yes i like it....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything works electrically but there is a problem with my blinking.

If I can use dots for light and dashes for no light

my blinkers used to be like this:

......---......---......---......

But now they are like this:

.---.---.---.---.---.---.

It blinks really fast and only for a brief moment.

I think there is a relay under my dash correct? I have added 2 tail lights in my system so what corrections would I have to make to get it back to the normal blinking speed and duration?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts