Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i am going to put a 460 in my 64 galaxie, i want to run full tube headers... The only set i have found are the crites, i do not plan to use the crites mounts and was wondering if anyone has used crites headers with modified fe mounts and what the results were. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have read mixed info on the Crites headers/mounts and what will, or won't, work. I wanted headers for my '67 which is getting a 429 and decided to choose option "C": T-Bird mounts and I am building my own headers.

Speedway Motors sells a header construction kit with 2" primaries into a 3-1/2" collector (much more header than I needed, but was the only size they offered) for $149 + shipping, and I am 3/4 of the way done with the driver's side header.

I have one more tube to run and have already worked out the routing. So far I am able to install it from the top with the engine in place with the head removed, but it is tight. I'm hoping that will remain the case, or worst case, I clearance an unused ear on the trans bellhousing.

Hope this helps.
Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I dont know why i hadnt thought about a build it yourself kit but that will probabldy be the way i go. Yours look very nice so far, good luck

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
If Crites won't tell you, Mad Dog makes your application. Maybe he will give you a little tech support.

Chances are they are made by Crite's, most of them are.
southtx...I have a 460 in my '64 Gal with Crites Gen I headers and mounts. They set the engine up 1" and forward 1". When I got the car it had a 429 with reworked FE mounts, the trans was so close to the firewall I could not get the passenger side top tranny bolt out, it was about 1/2" from the firewall. I pulled the engine and tranny together so it didn't hurt me. Just a little info for ya! :)

Edit...it also raised the tranny and it is about 1/16 of an inch from my floorboards ?!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts