Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking a the Crites kit for my 65 hardtop to free up room for a 351W right now; hoping for an FE stroker later. Just finished building a 63 Fairlane post car / rat rod and put a 76 mustang II front end under it with no issues, but really wanted to avoid the crossmember / oil pan issues with the M II and not have to do complete surgery right off the start. Best I can tell that kit comes with springs and everything needed but looking for input. Could settle for a stroked 302 with no suspension mods I guess but am leaning towards a 408 minimum; no replacement for displacement. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you do a search there seems to be lots of people just cutting the towers above the upper control arm bolts and welding in a new plate...Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to fab up....The 351 will fit in a 65-66 mustang without any shock tower mods though....The FE will be a different story but if you build a windsor stroker you may forget all about the FE..;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Based on my experience with a MII conversion on a 65 falcon with a FE/C6 I would suggest it would be easier to do it with a notched shock tower set-up. The nice thing about the Crites set-up is all the parts are available including headers.

With the MII there are no model specific headers available for Comets/Falcons that I know of. The oil pan clearance issue is a pain even with a 4x4 rear sump pan.

If I was to do it again I would go the Crites type route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on my experience with a MII conversion on a 65 falcon with a FE/C6 I would suggest it would be easier to do it with a notched shock tower set-up. The nice thing about the Crites set-up is all the parts are available including headers.

With the MII there are no model specific headers available for Comets/Falcons that I know of. The oil pan clearance issue is a pain even with a 4x4 rear sump pan.

If I was to do it again I would go the Crites type route.

Nice ride; definitley one of a kind. Like I said, I've used a M II stock setup in my 63 Fairlane with good results but wanted to stay away from that this project. That crossmember / oil pan issue seems to be an unmentioned secret around M II fans. STill rounding up parts but definitely think the Crites kit will be the way to go for me. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I used the notch kit from RRS out of Australia, they make a ton of front end mods for the early Falcons, Fairlanes too
Along wit their notch kit, u get a number of headers that fit the Fairlane once you install their kit
I used hedman long tubes spec;d for a 70 Mav. fit perfectly
Way better than the hooker 6134;s that make it a nightmare to change plugs. With the hedmans, i can change plugs in 10 minutes

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I did the Crites kit on my 64 falcon. I put in a 351w. I also got the Crites headers. The only real issue I had was that the header pipe from one of the front cylinders on the drivers side hit the cross member. I called crites and they sent me several bends which I used to modify the pipe so it cleared. If I couldnt weld that would have been a major problem. I have enough room to change plugs without to much cussing. I also had a small issue with the fill tube from my c4 just clearing the fire wall, and not having enough room for a normal cooling fan on the motor. I had to install a pusher fan in front of the radiator. Overall I would say its an OK and complete kit. If you want I can take some pics and email to you, or if I can figure out how to do it, post them on here. I am not very tech savy. (read old) :^\

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I did the Crites kit on my 64 falcon. I put in a 351w. I also got the Crites headers. The only real issue I had was that the header pipe from one of the front cylinders on the drivers side hit the cross member. I called crites and they sent me several bends which I used to modify the pipe so it cleared. If I couldnt weld that would have been a major problem. I have enough room to change plugs without to much cussing. I also had a small issue with the fill tube from my c4 just clearing the fire wall, and not having enough room for a normal cooling fan on the motor. I had to install a pusher fan in front of the radiator. Overall I would say its an OK and complete kit. If you want I can take some pics and email to you, or if I can figure out how to do it, post them on here. I am not very tech savy. (read old) :^\
We love to see pics....If you open an account with photobucket(its free) it is very easy to post up pictures..You simply download them right from your computer and then copy the image code and post it here..If you can't figure it out post back what you are having troubles with and I will walk you through it..Here is the link to join up.
http://register.photobucket.com/

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
ok, here goes nothing/ /Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0190.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0191.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0192.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0193.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0194.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0195.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0196.jpg
/Users/dblodanish/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2012/03/19/20120319-163901/IMG_0197.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.