Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 63 1st Gen Falcon.
I read a couple threads..
But will this allow a 351W to fit? I invested in a TCP and other mods to my front end so I am not wanting to scrap that investment, or I would go with a Mustang2 kit.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It will give you plenty of room for the 351W.I did not use a Crites kit,just measured back to the coils and to about 1" above the upper A-arm and cut out the inner tower.I made a 18 gauge angled piece to fill in the opening,but have seen people make the fill piece in two pieces.The Crites kit does come with a template if you don't want to try it yourself,start you cut small and sneak up on the final size opening. ROY.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Not sure what a TCP kit is but a 351W fit in my '62 Falcon with no cutting of the towers.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Interesting Jim.

What headers did you use?
I used some Hedman 351W into an early Mustang swap headers.The #7 tube hit the firewall but a BFH fixed that. Hedman make a short and long tube version like mine but both are only 1 5/8 primaries.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, you appear to have a 64 or 65.. You do know they are wider than the early birds.. (60-63).
Also TCP Is Total Control Products, and its a front suspension that uses the factory towers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Crites was going to be making the headers for the early 63 falcons. I have their headers in my 65. Here are a couple of pics of the tower mod that is needed with the 351W and helps a little with the 302 install. Crites includes the metal plate and template for removing the center rib with the headers. While the 60-63 Falcon engine compartment is slightly different then the 64/65 I would not say it is really any wider, They are all tight when installing long tube headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jim, you appear to have a 64 or 65.. You do know they are wider than the early birds.. (60-63).
Also TCP Is Total Control Products, and its a front suspension that uses the factory towers.
How did you come to that conclusion? By the shape of the fender in the top right hand of the photo, it appears to be an early bird. And why would he not know what year he has. The two are so distinctive.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Jim's is an early bird:

If Jim recommended something, I would expect that he knows what he is talking about. He hasn't signed in for over a year so I wouldn't expect a response to questions addressed to him. To bad as he has some cool cars that he likes to drag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts