Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if any of you have order from Crites and how much shipping would be for a hood with 4 in tall tear drop

Shipping to south east south dakota by the way

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Call them and see. I have bought quite a few things from them but I usually go there to pick it up as I live about 1/2 hour from them. I've heard mixed reviews from different Ford forums about them. Personally, they have treated me pretty well. I had a garage fire about 5 years ago and decided to go with a fiberglass front end on my '64 Galaxie. After the Gal was completed I noticed that the corner of the drivers side of the hood at the cowl was short be about 1/4 inch. Other than that it was good quality. The fenders and bumpers were good also. Crite's makes most of the early Galaxie and Fairlane stuff for most of the suppliers in the U.S. So if you buy elsewhere Crite's probably made it.
They are a very small family owned business and make their products in runs so you might be waiting for a while, maybe not.
Good Luck:)

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I looked on my parts list and can't find any grills. The 4" teardrop hoods are listed for $320 FWI, but this list is a couple of years old. Their stuff is mostly fiberglass related, they have their own molds. Also radiators, headers and some engine conversion parts. Their inventory is pretty limited. You ARE going to have a problem with a grill :(, just looked at catalogs from Auto Krafters, Dennis Carpenter, and Dearborn Classics and none of them have a listing for grills. E-bay, or a junk yard might be the only place. Crites phone # 740-983-4777 www.critesperformanceparts.com. They are located in central Ohio.

Edit- The All Ford Super Swap is coming up in Columbus, Ohio (long way from S.D.)
April 6 & 7 at the Fairgrounds. You WILL find one there.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Crite's makes most of the early Galaxie and Fairlane stuff for most of the suppliers in the U.S. So if you buy elsewhere Crite's probably made it.
They make ALL the pieces you see elsewhere. Good people, by the way. I had their fenders, hood, and bumpers on my old 64.

FYI : If you go to a site like Dearborn Classics, the picture they show as an example of the 63/64 hood is one of the pictures from the Crites website.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There are other makes for hoods but crites are the best. They mold around 2 by 4s where you can even mount it from the hindges like factory, more sturdy. Mine was anyway on a 66 fairlane. I also got the hood from crites for my other 66 I am building. That one I didnot get direct from them but bought it from a fellow in penn state off ebay, same as my first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lagalaxie500 is the hood scoop online or in their catalog because I just looked online and could not find one. If you can find it online can you give me the link. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Crites took my money then told me it would be shipped in 10 days for about 4 months. I told them to cancel it, they eventually shipped it anyway and refused my refund even though I sent it back. I will never use them again. Had MUCH better service elsewhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I will probably end up buying that and some bondo since they only want a $105 at my front door and crites want $500 but it would come with the hood. I have never had to buy bondo before so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but how much would a gallon of bondo cost me?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks, I will probably end up buying that and some bondo since they only want a $105 at my front door and crites want $500 but it would come with the hood. I have never had to buy bondo before so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but how much would a gallon of bondo cost me?
I used Dyno-Glass to set it with , which was 17.00 a qrt. which I got from napa.then I used bondo to do the fill in and finish.Here's a link www.autobodytoolmart.com. I used Feather Rite Auto Body Filler , it was 15.59 a gallon. Not knowing what I was doing I wasn't about to spend a lot just to pratice. It turned out O.K. to be my first time . I had to make several batches befor I got the hardner mixture right . It has been on over a year now and has no cracks.. GOOD LUCK with yours..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts