Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I decided to violate my OEM 1963 Z code convertible (TKO600, 3.5 rear), now I'm thinking of adding some bolt-on horsepower while I'm at it.

I've already gotten some shorty repops to replace the stock logs to help out with the exhaust system and now I'm thinking about the intake side of things. The car is/was a Z code, so it's the 390 with the 4V and I was considering going with a 3x2 setup (better airflow to support the eventual stroke job using the Prison Break system or similar, and it just looks cool).

Anyone toss a 3x2 intake + shorties onto an otherwise stock 390 block or have an opinion on that? Am I just going to give myself carb tuning headaches or is there some value there?

The car is a driver, I'm just looking for a bit more zip.

TIA

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Since I decided to violate my OEM 1963 Z code convertible (TKO600, 3.5 rear), now I'm thinking of adding some bolt-on horsepower while I'm at it.

I've already gotten some shorty repops to replace the stock logs to help out with the exhaust system and now I'm thinking about the intake side of things. The car is/was a Z code, so it's the 390 with the 4V and I was considering going with a 3x2 setup (better airflow to support the eventual stroke job using the Prison Break system or similar, and it just looks cool).

Anyone toss a 3x2 intake + shorties onto an otherwise stock 390 block or have an opinion on that? Am I just going to give myself carb tuning headaches or is there some value there?

The car is a driver, I'm just looking for a bit more zip.

TIA
As I've noted before, I have kept the original Tri Power on my 406. My son just rebuilt the 3 Holley's. As GalaxieX posted the download "3 Deuces Version 2" from HP Trends is the ultimate document on tri power. I bought the download several years ago and it has been incredibly helpful. I keep a printout of it pinned to my shop wall. During the Holley rebuild we ( I live at 7000 feet elevation) reduced the inboard and outboard carb jest size by 3 numbers each. 3 Deuces recommends any time a jet size change is made do it in 3 number increments. --------- Having a tri power can be incredibly practical, cool, and rewarding, but also frustrating at times. The lack of old school guys around anymore to lean on for help can be frustrating. But, as I told my son recently, the learning curve that we have gone trough over the past few years, will enable him to be a go to guy in our area. It's kinda starting to happen already.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think you could probably get better air flow with a modern single four intake and 4V carb. You would lose the cool look, but probably have better performance. Although, I believe you can get EFI throttle bodies for a traditional 3 X 2 set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts