Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question but has anybody ever tried to put later model (e.g., 80s) Crown Vic power steering into a '62 Galaxie? My '62 Galaxie does not have power steering and it is a bear to steer. I have heard that the power steering setup originally equipped on the early Galaxies is prone to leakage, so I'd rather not do that if I'm going to replacing stuff frequently.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm always surprised when I hear about someone wanting to change to a modern steering system or rack and pinion steering. I have a 63 Galaxie with power steering and I like it better, and it steers easier, than any other car I have had, including my 2011 Ford Edge and my 2008 Bullitt Mustang. As far as leaking, I have rebuilt the power steering components on 3 different early Galaxies and never had any problems with them leaking. They aren't hard to rebuild and it doesn't cost much to buy the rebuild kits. The hoses can be hard to find, though, depending on the year.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I actually did the rack & pinion swap on my 62 and I am considering going back to stock.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
If you are talking the steering box it's different from auto to standard or vice versa. Don't know the exact difference though. Maybe the ratio? Someone here will know. Don't know if it absolutely has to be changed or not. But might find you a parts car or someone parting one out that will sell all the parts needed for the swap at a decent price then rebuild or have rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I actually did the rack & pinion swap on my 62 and I am considering going back to stock.
...hmmpf...

What system did you use and why not satisfied? Curious.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I used the Wurth style. It is not a matter of dissatisfaction as much as frustration. It has made my clutch linkage a nightmare. There is a guy locally that is talking about trading for mine. I am seriously leaning towards going with the stock setup.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hey Thanx!

Did they mention linkage interference with the changeover?

I know this guy's system was described by others to be pretty good (GM style rack) but he was having family problems keeping up with orders.

WURTHITDESIGNS

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I used the Wurth style. It is not a matter of dissatisfaction as much as frustration. It has made my clutch linkage a nightmare. There is a guy locally that is talking about trading for mine. I am seriously leaning towards going with the stock setup.
Have you thought of using a hydro style clutch release? Would uncomplicate the z-bar/linkage nightmare....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I considered hydraulic, but I wanted a simple system that didn't use any special order parts.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
The steering box is the same for manual or power steering on the 62 Galaxie.

The pitman arm is different on the power steering and manual steering! I have manual steering on my 64 and my steering box went kaput so I took the steering box off of a 62 power steering car but hat to use my pitman arm as the power steering one is different. Never noticed any difference in steering using the power box on a manual car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts