Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a drive train and possible suspension swap from a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor into a '68 Falcon.

Has anyone tried this yet? What are the pros/cons of such a swap, etc ?

I am planning this for a '68 Falcon Wagon, should be great for traveling.

Thanks,
TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
new front suspension because you have to eliminate the shock towers. Get a mustang II style IFS front suspension kit (I think a fairlane/torino style will work, not sure) because those kits get rid of the towers, providing enough room. A 9 in. rear end wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Why? The Crown Vic has a turd of a 4.6. Depending on the year, it's only rated between 210hp and 250hp. It seems like a ton of work to fit in an engine that makes as much power as a regular small block that fits into the Falcon with zero work. As far as I know, no one makes a distributor conversion for the 4.6, so you're going to be forced to run EFI. You're going to create a harness for yourself because there are not 4.6 swap harnesses that I know of.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why? The Crown Vic has a turd of a 4.6. Depending on the year, it's only rated between 210hp and 250hp. It seems like a ton of work to fit in an engine that makes as much power as a regular small block that fits into the Falcon with zero work. As far as I know, no one makes a distributor conversion for the 4.6, so you're going to be forced to run EFI. You're going to create a harness for yourself because there are not 4.6 swap harnesses that I know of.
theres got to be a distributor set up for them, because ive found the manifolds to convert 4.6s to a carb from efi.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
No distributor, uses a crank trigger, or you use the ignition part of the EFI and not the rest of it. I would not knock the 4.6, there are tons of parts available and it is a very efficient engine. For the same displacement, the Mod motor will get better fuel mileage at the same power level than a pushrod engine.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
No distributor, uses a crank trigger, or you use the ignition part of the EFI and not the rest of it. I would not knock the 4.6, there are tons of parts available and it is a very efficient engine. For the same displacement, the Mod motor will get better fuel mileage at the same power level than a pushrod engine.
I'm not knocking the 4.6 motor as a whole. I had an '03 GT and it was a good car and good motor. However, swapping in a bone stock 215hp 4.6 from a Crown Vic into a Falcon just doesn't make sense to me. It's a ton of work for not a whole lot of gain. You can easily buy a low mileage 5.0 for $500-$750 and swap in an EFI setup for a whole lot less than what's required to get the 4.6 into the car and get the same reliability and fuel economy. Now if you're talking about swapping in a 4V motor out of a Cobra, I'd say go for it, but the 2V motors just aren't worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
theres got to be a distributor set up for them, because ive found the manifolds to convert 4.6s to a carb from efi.
Nope, no one makes a distributor kit for these motors. I think I've seen 1 motor where a guy made something himself, but it was a total one off.

I think MSD makes a stand alone ignition controller for the stock crank trigger setup so you can run a carb on the motor. I think it's about $500. It looks like Jegs has a carb conversion kit that comes with the manifold and ignition controller for $800. For that amount of money, you might as well just buy an EFI setup for a regular SBF.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank you for the responses. I guess that I let the "dream mode" take over my thought train.

I have leads on on various Crown Vic Police Interceptors, which is why I questioned about this "swap".

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I'm not knocking the 4.6 motor as a whole. I had an '03 GT and it was a good car and good motor. However, swapping in a bone stock 215hp 4.6 from a Crown Vic into a Falcon just doesn't make sense to me. It's a ton of work for not a whole lot of gain. You can easily buy a low mileage 5.0 for $500-$750 and swap in an EFI setup for a whole lot less than what's required to get the 4.6 into the car and get the same reliability and fuel economy. Now if you're talking about swapping in a 4V motor out of a Cobra, I'd say go for it, but the 2V motors just aren't worth the hassle.
Give it a few more years and a few pioneers to point the way and I'll expect to see a trend toward swaping the rusty frames of Galaxies for Crown Victoria frames and/or suspensions. It may take a little blue wrench surgery to get the wheel bases correct, but it could be a decent, upgrade - replacement if done right. I'd hate to see them replace an FE/BBF with a mod motor - but the new 5.0 litre mod motor, pushing 415 hp ain't all that bad and should fit in place of the 4.6 litre?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Now if we could just find a distributor for a 6.8 V10. Going on a dragster...using mechanical fuel (methanol) injection for it's simplicity...we're gonna have to get creative with the ignition system looks like :(

But back to the 4.6...yeah I'd do it. That does sound like a good idea. Would make a great driver. Smooth. Good fuel economy. Remember...most of the 4.6's came in 4000 lb+ cars/trucks and so yes-they're going to be turds in a heavy car. In a 2800 lb Falcon, it won't be nearly as sluggish. I actually like the look of the 4.6/5.4 with the right valve covers and a carb intake, it's an attractive big little engine (small displacement large physical size). I thought about doing one in a Maverick before I sold the last driver I had. 2 valve of course as finding a 4V 4.6 around here commands $2500+ because no matter what it came out of it's a "cobra" 4v modular. I found a 3.9 from an SHO yesterday...and thoughts of it in a 2 door Maverick like the one I used to have started starting spinning in my head. Then I realized that I don't have any more room in the yard for another car....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Any news on this. I'm curious about doing the crown vic suspension swap into my 67 fairlane but I'm not sure if it will fit or if there will be some major fabrication in store for me. I'm not afraid of it, just wondering what I might be getting myself into.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Any news on this. I'm curious about doing the crown vic suspension swap into my 67 fairlane but I'm not sure if it will fit or if there will be some major fabrication in store for me. I'm not afraid of it, just wondering what I might be getting myself into.
im curious about a similar thing. I have a 65 mercury comet and im wondering if i could take the 8.8 out of a 98 vic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts