Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on this? I drove my Galaxie yesterday to a friend house, parked the car as normal. When I got ready to leave a few hours later, I started the car shifted to D2 and the linkage rod disconnected for the shifter. Since I was already in the correct gear I drove home. When I got home I jacked the car up and slid the linkage rod back into the shifter hole (only one hole on the shifter), let the car down. I started the car up in park, and it seems to be sluggish like it was in gear instead of park, but the car wasn't moving when I give it gas. I shifted out of park to what is supposed to be Reverse, and the car went into drive (wtf). I shifted to what was suppose to be neutral and it was still a drive gear. I shifted to where D1 was supposed to be and the car went into reverse. I shifted to where D2 was supposed to be and the car went into neutral, and it was in neutral in D gear as well. Now the shifter rod didn't disconnect for the shifter lever on the transmission, it only disconnected at the shifter, so no the shifter lever did not flip 180 degrees, it never disconnected for the shifter rod. Anyone have any ideas what is going on with the cruise-O-matic transmission?

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Sounds like it's backwards or something. You might need to get someone to put it in the proper gears and you adjust the little slidey thing with the nut and bolt that's on the firewall to get it set back to the right gears.

It's possible it came out because the adjuster part on the firewall loosened up maybe, which is why all the gears are off mark now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is this the XL that's listed in your signature? You are correct in that there looks to be only one hole in the shifter, but there are two holes on the trans. I know you said it didn't come apart there, but this exact same thing happened to me when I was breaking in my engine (luckily it didn't drive into my laundry room). When I realized what was happening, I switched the linkage around on the trans and it was fine. Start by making sure it's in the upper hole on the trans. If that's where it is, then take a look at the slidy thing like ShotRod said, but if it's an XL then it's underneath... where it goes into the shifter there is an adjuster. You may have to fool with the adjustment to get it right as it's possible it came loose.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
'64 might be different than 63.5. Mines an XL but it's on the firewall like behind where the brake pedal is hanging at the foot pad I guess is the way to describe it. Also might depend on column or floor shift though too.

You'll find it when you get to looking for it though. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a strange coincidence, the same thing happened to me with my '65 500. (well, nearly the same thing) - Reverse is like Park, Neutral is a forward gear, and the Drive gears are the same still. (This really sucks because last time I pulled it into the garage, I went forward instead of backing in. So I've got about 8 inches to move forward before I make a grill-sized hole in the drywall.) Would the linkage connections be in the same locations for my transmission?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I'm not sure where it is on a '65 but if it's column shift it should be somewhere in the same area I would think. It's easy to find when followling the path of the linkage.
I have a rod that comes down off the column outside by the firewall and then there is a rod that comes up. There's a nut that you loosen and the rod slides up and down on that depending on where the gear shift lever is. It actually moves the shifter. That's why it is a whole lot easier if 2 people do it. One to hold it in neutral or whatever gear and one to losen and tighten the nut outside. Just be sure the trans is in the correct gear when doing this. I believe all the way forward is Park on the transmission.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is the XL console shifter. And the linkage has always been connected to the top shifter lever on the transmission. I wonder if it is possible for something to shift inside the transmission? Because I didn't have to adjust the rod to connect it back to the shifter, so that would mean that the shifter leaver on the transmission didn't move, at least on the outside.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
you know, I don't remember an adjustment on a floor shift but there might just be. It is possible the little "bullet" as I call it inside that rides on the notches inside the trans slipped to the wrong position for some reason.
I wonder if it's possible that even though you hooked it in the same hole it was always in if the shift lever on the trans wasn't pointed in the wrong direction, such as to the back, which when hooking up would throw it all backwards sort of. Do you know what I mean? Like the rod hooked up would be pulling the lever instead of pushing it or vice versa.

Before tearing into it try disconnecting it again and move the lever on the trans in the opposite direction and then reconnecting. It's a pain with the trans in to mess with that shift setup inside because you have to hold the "bullet" back which is spring loaded and get it in the correct notch on the "rooster comb" looking thing. I know not to technical of terms but I can never remember the proper names and half the time someone else won't know what it is by the correct name anyway. At least I wouldn't. lol

Might just be the lever on the trans was pointed the wrong way when you hooked it up so that park would be like low and low would be park or reverse or something close to that.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
I was trying to remember who it was that had that problem. Now I know. Even if you spell how it sounds we can figure it out and fill in the blanks. :)
You're english is better than my swedish. Which I don't know other than the swedish chef thing from the muppets. :)

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, It was the gear valve piston thing, it was in the wrong position it had slid down tow notches (still don't understand how it moved inside the trans). But put in back in place and everything is back working the way it suppose too, just in time for a perfect cruising day it was 60+ degrees and sunny here today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts