Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the pan and changed filter and gasket. Now I realize that the leak is coming from a linkage right above the pan. Any one know if the tranny has to be dropped to get to that one? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!I have been looking for those diagrams online for six months. Thanks. I have never been a transmission guy, is the valve body complicated to pull?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Wow!I have been looking for those diagrams online for six months. Thanks. I have never been a transmission guy, is the valve body complicated to pull?
no..its pretty easy...
I did mine a few years ago... don't remember exactly
a couple or one clip holding tubes..maybe a couple bolts holding vbody...

once you get pan off, it will become more clear what do....

I was a little concerned my self, tackling this job at first....
but it was easy...
like I said before...messy...
I pulled pan and just let it drip/drain for a day....
just have some extra rags and catch can nearby......:D

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I think the hardest part is getting the shifter rooster comb thing. The "bullet" is spring loaded and has to be held back to put the "comb" in place. Don't know real name, gear detent or something probably. It's the 'click' you hear when changing gears as the bullet slides over each tooth to the right gear and keeps it in place. Other than that my short memory self had issues with getting the metal tubes poked into the valve body but there is only one way but i had to try all of them. lol

Like mentioned, it's messy. There is supposed to be a torque spec on the valve body, think there are 4 bolts. Someone can tell you the torque as i don't remember what it is.

Dawn dish soap works great to get tranny fluid out of your hair. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with ShotRod. The hardest part is holding the detent ball against the detent spring, while trying to get the detent lever back on. There isn't much room to get your fingers up in there, and it is slippery because of the transmission fluid. When I did it, it took several tries, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to get it, but after several attempts, and some determination, it finally went back in. Then get the nut back on, and you are home free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts