Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing out my tired and slipping cruiso next spring to a TCI c-6 just wondering if there is any mods I have to make to the linkages or kits I need to buy to do this, I am thinking its a direct bolt in. I have a colum shift now and would like to keep it that way.
thanks

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
mddyatv,
I changed from a COM to a C6 in my 63 Galaxie.
#1. Make sure you tell TCI that you have a column shift when you order the transmission. The shift bracket coming out of the transmission is different if it's a floor shift.
#2. The C6 transmission mount sets farther back than the COM. I ordered a kit for it and had to throw it away because it didn't work. I made my own kit utilizing the existing transmission mount and crossmember. I've got a sketch I'm including.
#3. The existing coolant lines will work only they've got to be rebent just a little. If you're going to be drag racing it I'd suggest a transmission oil cooler. ( High rpm torque converters heat up at low rpm)
#4. Summit sells a multiple hole shift rod bracket that goes on the transmission shift bracket that will enable you to use your existing COM shift indentions on the column. The distance between gear indentions on the transmission is different than the indentions on your column shifter. This cheap bracket will provide the correct ratio.
#5. Driveshaft can be reused, the yoke has to be changed on the driveshaft though.
#6. Make sure the C6 transmission has a shift modulator. The shift kit is real nice when you floor it but when you cruise around town at slow speeds you'll get whiplash. I turned my screw out 4 turns and it's acceptable now and still turns the tires over when shifting.
#7. Specify at what rpm you want the transmission to shift at. If you don't you're liable to hit passing gear and not have it kick out until you're doing 90 mph like mine. That part of the transmission function is internal and you don't want to send the transmission back in to get it changed.
#8 When choosing a Torque converter be honest with yourself on what RPM flash point you need. Remember that the high rpm torque converters will slip and cause heat and excessive fuel consumption when your cruising around town. The only advantage they have is for drag racing, nothing else.
Can't think of anything else. Good luck, Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
mddyatv,
What's your rear end gear ratio and how do you plan on using the car. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Interesting, will it work with your green dot gear indicator? How much is shipping?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Puttster,
I don't know who you're addressing your question to but if it's me and you're talking about the ratio adjust bracket that goes on the transmission the answer is yes. You have the same shift patteren PRND21. Forget the green dot. Jim PS. If you're asking about the shipping of a 10 dollar part the answer is probably another 10 dollars, order something else along with it, it'll make shipping sound more reasonable.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim,
I am running a 3:50 posi, my car is mostly a weekend car around town kind of stuff a couple highway trips less than a 100 miles for some shows with an occasional trip to the drag strip.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
That means with a 27 inch tire you'd be doing 2600 rpm at 60mph. You're not going to write home about gas mileage if you take very many trips. I'm running a 3.25 ratio posi now and I'm putting a 2.75 gear in it as soon as the interior is done. I plan on using it for Carlisle, Pa, Smokey Mountains and the Gulf Coast next year. I'm running a 12" stall converter that suppose to flash at 2200. Hopefully it won't be too high. I doubt if I'll ever put it on the drag strip. Jim

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running a 295/50/15 tire on my car now. thank you for all your help. I am printing out this post and puting it my notes binder so when i do the swap. I am not real concerned about gas milage I also have a set of 2:80 gears I can swap in for the long trips if needed. thank you again for all your help.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you tell me the part number to this bracket or send me the link, I tried to find it on summit but I am not sure which one it is and want to order the correct one.

Summit sells a multiple hole shift rod bracket that goes on the transmission shift bracket that will enable you to use your existing COM shift indentions on the column. The distance between gear indentions on the transmission is different than the indentions on your column shifter.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
You will need these two items from Summit. The transmission lever part no. TCI-418400 $15.95. Then you'll need a dip stick tube. I chose the one that bolted to the block. I wanted an all metal non-flexable tube. The part no. for it is TCI-743815 $65.95. The gear shift lever works perfect and the dip stick fits great and reads the correct amount of fluid. You see, here at Ford Muscle Forums we try it out first so you don't have to. Jim PS. I'm including a photo of the shift lever hooked up to the console shift I have. You on the other hand will have the lever pointing down with the coloum shift. But, the idea is the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Puttster,
I power washed that car twice underneath. After it was painted and the drive-train was installed I took it down and had it Zebarted and undercoated. I'm proud of it myself now. I've decided to make this car my everyday car. When it rusts out I won't be around to see it anyway. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Jim for all the help I just ordered those parts from summit and I will be ordering my Transmission Next month.. I am currently deployed and will be intalling everything when I get back next May..
Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jim, I'm currently trying to do the same swap and had a question. Does your trans mount have the vertical mounting tabs with a single bolt/nut that attaches it to the crossmember? Just trying to wrap my head around how to move this back. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
66venom,
Use the same COM transmission mount mounted in the same place. I do think I remember having to elongate the holes in the mount to fit the bolts going into the transmission. Visualize if you will leaving the transmission mount on the crossmember and moving crossmember and all 3" rearward. Use the metal plate I designed to capture the crossmember to the frame sides. Depending on the thickness of the plate will determine how high you raise the rear of the transmission above it's stock height. 1/4" won't hurt anything and that plate will support the crossmember and transmission very well. Jim PS I forgot to tell you to make your crossmember frame mount plate and bolt it using only the front bolt. Then install your crossmember on top of the plate centering the crossmember on both sides while transmission is bolted up and resting on plate. Then drill new hole locations and bolt down.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts