Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canadian 65 Galaxie XL with 390 and green dot cruisomatic. Currently the speedo reads low. You have to go to about 70mph to be at real 55 MPH. I bought a kit of drive gears of various sizes...however I need to calculate the driven gear I need. Not sure they make them. Any help would be appreciated. Also--any links to driven gears would be great.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here's a link to some speedometer driven gears with colors and tooth counts.

Speedometer Gears

·
Registered
119 Posts
I remember seeing this kit of driven gears that you could use to swap and check by trial and error.

Here's a set on ebay that looks pretty cheap, maybe worth taking a chance:

Ford SPEEDOMETER GEARS **ALL 5** BRAND NEW OEM NOS mustang gear speedo+gear | eBay

They are easy enough to change, but you can also calculate what you should need with one of the online calculators available. The pink drive gear I believe is a 6-tooth, BTW. I've done the calculation before and gotten within 5%, but still needed to tweak it with another driven-gear tooth up or down to get it just right.

·
Registered
539 Posts
According to Summit Racing the pink gear is a 19-tooth.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I got a GPS speedo for my Gal and stopped worrying about worn cables, gears, rear ends and tire sizes.

Reactions: Woodson

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I disconnect Speedo cable to check/swap the gears to try and get closer....can I expect any trans fluid to leak out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts