Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a set of 351 W heads. They have the 1.94 & 1.60 chevy valves and milled to 59cc. Will these probably clear the factory pistons in a 1968 302 motor? Of course I would clay test them before I fired it up, but should they clear? I'm also concerned because the milling would probably slightly decrease the valve clearance too. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think you'll be ok. What do you have for a cam are the piston stock 68 if so I think the have a valve releif in them. But checking the clearance would be the thing to do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got a factory cam now. I was hoping to upgrade to a streetable cam at the same time. Any suggestions on the max duration I would want? The lift is about 0.5 on the cams I've been looking at.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try the comp cams magnum. Depending on your level of porting the heads will probably max out on their flow around there. Take a look at the archives here in Fordmuscle. They did some flow checking on a number of heads including the windsors. Basically, lift beyond the flow limit of the heads is useless. The only gain is the added duration at the max flow. The comp magnum cam works on that principle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts