Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info from anyone who has a custom ground cam.

I ran across a mag from MMFF that's on the rack right now. Titled "Tech Guide", it is mostly late model stuff, but has a section on custom ground cams and their advantages. It's an excellent article and makes alot of sense. There's a company in Tucson that takes the info you provide about your car and enters it into a database. They come up with cam specs to optimize your particular setup.

So, who among us is running a custom cam? How did you choose it and who made it? How does the cost compare to off the shelf cams? How does it perform?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
joe,

check out this site...
www.wighat.com/fcr3

that is buddy rawls' site. he grinds custom cams for all kinds of cars, including any ford. roller, solid, flat etc...

this guy is a walking engine theory brain, very cool guy to talk with.
he ground me a custom nitrous cam, it was about 30 bux more than the comp extreme line of hydro rollers, and worth every penny!

with a custom, you get exactly what you want, not what a book says 500 different combos will get (all the same).

talk to him, after you read his "cam truth" article, very cool read!
print it out, and read it again after a month, it will make more sense...

later

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buddy is a source I have used before. Excellent web site. In fact, he helped me pick out the cam I'm running right now. For the mild build I have, I just got one off the shelf. But for my 331 project, I may want one custom ground. Whatever I decide, Buddy will definintely have some input. I trust his judgement.

Thanks for the reply though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstngjoe on 6/17/02 3:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think Cam Research Corp makes custom grinds. They are Ford only. Check out their website. They have a thorough cam selection site, where you enter all of your specifics.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have one in the 331. Got one in the 375 too. Call Ultradyne!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 6/17/02 9:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got a cam research, I'm planning on dynoing it this winter so I don't no how many horse but tons of torque and no problems.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I have one for my 466. 89coupe & I did it some years ago & had Comp grind it... ya wanna talk torque! Man what a monster! Some of my brand X buddies are having good luck with some we've come up with on DD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts