Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. i just bought a '64 Ranchero. i'm going to be lowering it soon and i wanted to ask if i were to cut 2 coils out of the front would i need to get a shorter shock or would the stock ones still work? thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Chef_B, There's no way I'd cut 2 coils off right off hand. You need to start with half a coil and then let it settle for awhile. You'd be surprised how far a drop half a coil will be.

Are the coils stock or after market?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i wasn't going to cut 2 right away, but if i were to go with 2 i was wondering if a shorter shock would be needed. the coils are stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
regardless of the method of lowering, i just need to know if i'll need to change to a shorter shock. if so, what shocks should i get? thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
regardless of the method of lowering, i just need to know if i'll need to change to a shorter shock. if so, what shocks should i get? thanks.
The best thing for you to do is The Arning/Shelby drop first Then if you need more drop cut 1/2 coil. Your stock shocks will be fine with that. Why cut a bunch off the coils and have your car ride like S--T. I have seen anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" drop of the front from the lowered control arms but the handling difference is huge. Here is some reading material for you http://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hello everyone. i just bought a '64 Ranchero. i'm going to be lowering it soon and i wanted to ask if i were to cut 2 coils out of the front would i need to get a shorter shock or would the stock ones still work? thanks!
hello;

cutting coils makes the compressed spring height in your car less. cars with stock cut coils bottom out easier. its simple math. i have fixed many.

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
I bought a 63 Ranchero in which the not so smart owner cut the springs down so much (2 coil+) that every time the car wnet on a driveway the car bottomed out--bang!- and was very uncomfortable to rid or drive. he lowered the rear by putting 4" spacers. The car also had so many jack-ass modifications that further made the car unpleasant. I restored the sporings-front & rear. The shocks were stock, but prohibited the car from the amount it wanted to be lowreed. The only thing he did right was to put 65 Mustang disc brakes on it. If you are intent on lowering/butchering the car, look at the Monroe website and browse through their shocks section that has the specifications of the shocks. Also, switch to the upper Mustang shock tower bracket that has the dual bolt on top instaed of the single stud mounting. Measure the cars ride height after your mods and then you can figure the amount of rebound you need before the springs bind up and the car slams on itself. The upper arms /ball joints should be replaced since you got the springs out. Check the lower arms too. Might as well replace them too. The guys recommend doing the upper arm drilling the new holes to see if that is low enough for your taste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts