Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft(for a Mustang)from Summit. I want to use the the new driveshaft on my 80 T-Bird. The T-bird has a C4 Transmission and is now getting an 8.8 rear from a 86 Mustang to replace the 7.5 rear. Heres the problem...The aluminum Mustang driveshaft is about 5" too short. The origional steel driveshaft is now going to be 1" too long, since an 8.8" rear is almost 1" longer than a 7.5" rear. Does anyone know what kind of cost I may be looking at to have the aluminum driveshaft lenghtened the necessary 5" and reballanced? I heard that it costs about $90 to have a steel driveshaft cut down and ballanced. I really want to use the aluminum driveshaft if possible. I just dont want to spend another $160 to do it. By the way, if anyone knows of a good driveshaft repair shop in Easten PA, please let me know...THANKS

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't tell you about how much it would run, but a few guys I know have run into similar situations before and they all said that having a driveshaft shortened was WAY cheaper than making it longer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have never had a driveshaft lengthened, only shortened. I believe you would have to have a whole new tube of the correct length welded in because I don't believe it would be advisable to weld added length to an existing shaft. If it was possible, any savings in material would be lost in the labor to get it straight and balance it.
Good Luck,
Danny
'79 T-Bird

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kywookie was absolutely correct in what he said. And to make it more expensive, aluminum is difficult to weld and the shops knows how to charge for that too. Remember you need quality welds on a driveshaft and everyone can't do that.

Doc

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I think that I should probably just stay with the stock driveshaft and return the aluminum one. I really only need to shorten the stock driveshaft, something like 3/4". I wonder if I could remove that small amount from the driveshaft's Yoke, from the transmission side??? I read that the 8.8 rear is only a little longer(about1"). You run into a problem on hard bumps, pot holes etc., where the driveshaft will smack into the transmission output shaft. If I removed no more than 1" off my existing driveshaft should that work? Naturally I would have to be careful about making a nice clean and straight cut. Any feelings on this???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BBCFORD on 6/8/02 8:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts