Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that it's a good idea to inspect the inside of your oil filter after a rebuild to monitor the type and size of particles that are being filtered out. I'm looking for advice on how to cut it open and where to cut it. Is a hacksaw good enough or is there a special tool? Is there a particular spot to cut it that makes it easier?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
A hacksaw will work fine, but the cutter listed above works hot-dam, and cut by the end that screws in the block. Then unfold the element and inspect.

Rick

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
The problem with a hack-saw is that the metal slivers from the cutting action of the blade fall into the filter.... You pretty much need a regular oversized tubing cutter.

I have a reusable System 1 oil filter that comes apart for inspection. It uses a VERY fine mesh screen filter, and flows EXTREMELY well. Pre-filling it before installation is just a matter of filling it up. No waiting!
I'd say VERY little oil misses the filter screen by going through the filter's bypass.

I have one of those tailpipe cutters that looks like a chain wrench. The chain part of the wrench has those circular cutters that groove out the filter like a tubing cutter. I bought it for $10 at a swap meet, and it works fine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I do it the hard way. Tin snips, the sharp pointed aviation type. I stab the filter can with one point to make a starting point and then work my way around. Be careful the edges are like razors. The racing filters are hard to get a hole in because of the heavy can but can be done.
I cut the filter that was on for brakin this year and it is the cleanest I have seen in years. Looks like everything will be good this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts