Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Fairlane friends, ready to put the big block in my 66. Can someone tell me how far from the top of the shock towers I should cut down before making the vertical cut. Trying to keep from having to put the Mustang II front end under it. Thank you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why are you cutting at all? both FE and 385 series motors wil fit. With that said, you really only gain better spark plug access, which would be personal preference as to how far you cut...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taken several measurments and with headers on the 460, I just don't see how it will fit. Then again, I'm new at this. If I don't cut, will I have enough room to change plugs. This will be a strip car, so I know plug changing will be frequent. Any advice you offer, I appreciate.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
now I guess the question would be, is the 460 wider than the FE?

FE

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Ford Engine Dimensions Engine Family LxWxH in inches, without carburetor. Weight in Lbs.
221-260-289-302======= =29 x 24 x 27.5----- 460
Boss 302======== =====29 x 24.5 x 28.5----500
335 Series 351 Cleveland=== 29 x 25.5 x 27.5---550
351 Windsor============ 29 x 25 x 29------ 525
FE Series 352-390-406-410-427-428===32 x 27 x 29--625
Boss 429================ 34 x 30 x 30----635
385 Series 429-460========== 34 x 27 x 30----720
427 SOHC========== 34 x 32 x 30------------- 680
4.6L SOHC or DOHC========= 36 x 36 x 44----600

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 8/7/06 2:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
830 Posts
same width as FE series.. I've worked on a 70 mustang w/ a 429 in it, although is wasn't easy, you could reach the plugs with the right universal joint and extensions...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stand corrected, I was looking at the wrong one. Problem is, I cut one while waiting for answer to the first post. Oh well, no turning back now. The first one looks real good. Thanks again.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Good luck.... it will make servicing way easier.. you may still need to remove master cylinder to get at cylinders 7 & 8, if i remember right, so platinum plug might be an option... i was thinking of taking a pie shaped crescent out of mine so the towers are cut, but you can't tell....

·
Registered
38 Posts
the only things you should have to do is:
-shave the steering gear box (minimally)
-grind the cooling fins off the top of the c6 (you could likely get away without it)
its a pain in the ass-but it'll fit in there without cutting shock towers. fills the engine bay up real good, too. don't dog the 429/460. it IS a small block (if you consider the stroke) with massive cylinders. and they catch the RPM's real well. radiator to fan clearance is ridiculously close, though. Don't think it'll make it in there with PS/PB. Are you using a kit from dark horse or crites, or, dear god, fabbing everything yourself?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I won't have ps/pb. I fabbed the shock tower mod's myself. They turned out real nice. I might go with an electric water pump/fan because of the clearance issue. Which part of the steering gearbox will I need to shave? It's nice to have a place such as this forum to ask advice and get it. I appreciate everyone's help. I will have pic's of the progress soon.

"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't been at this site in quite awhile, Glad to be back. I have a 67 with a CJ 460. I am in the process of replacing alot of metal and the 460 is out of the car right now. I too am doing a mustang II front suspension but the 460 does fit. The added room is just going to make like so much easier. Again....I dont know what u-joint tool could get out 4 of 8 spark plugs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wanting to go the Mustang II way myself, but then my daughter decided to get married.($$$$) Well, there went that plan. Maybe come back later and do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will as soon as I change the coil springs. I'm leaving the towers open while I am changing them. Maybe the added access will help with that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts